Northrop Grumman's widely fielded AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING system is a combat proven, self-contained, multi-sensor targeting and surveillance system. LITENING enables aircrews to detect, acquire, auto-track and identify targets at long ranges for weapon delivery or nontraditional intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions. LITENING's 1K FLIR, 1K charged-coupled device (CCD), laser imaging sensors, advanced image processing and digital video output provide superior imagery, allowing aircrews to identify and engage targets under a wide range of battlefield conditions.
LITENING targeting pod features include:
- Full 1K FLIR and CCD, the highest resolution available in any fielded targeting pod
- Digital, high definition video to the cockpit
- Laser imaging sensors for more accurate identification
- Color symbology for reduced pilot workload and integration with new cockpit displays
- Multiple fields of view for a complete view of the situation
- Advanced two-way plug-and-play datalinks, including NET-T integration, that seamlessly communicate with ground stations
- Flexible upgrade path to bring older pods to the latest configuration affordably.
The LITENING targeting pod is in service worldwide
The pod is currently flown by the U.S. Marine Corps, all components of the U.S. Air Force, and international customers. The latest configuration, LITENING G4, is authorized for export to NATO countries.
LITENING by the numbers
- More than two million hours flown, including more than 770,000 combat flight hours
- Greater than 97% availability
- Integrated on the F-16 Block 30, F-16 Block 40/50, A-10C, AV-8B, B-52, EA-6B, F-15E and F/A-18 C/D.
- More than 500 LITENING G4 pods delivered
- More than 800 pods total delivered
Support and upgrades
Northrop Grumman LITENING professionals are available around the clock to provide support, and a secure web portal has the latest news and software updates available for download. LITENING's modular design and flexible upgrade path allow operators to easily bring their existing pods up to the latest configuration.