Interested teachers must form a team of four and all members must submit a joint application to participate by April 8, 2016. Teams may be comprised of four teachers from the same
district or a neighboring district. Teams may be comprised of middle
school or high school teachers or a combinations of levels. Applicants
will be notified of their acceptance in early May 15, 2016.
- Download the Application (Word .doc)
- Save the file on your computer
- Fill out the form completely
- Follow the instructions on the form for how to return the application file along with all other required documents
Eligibility and Requirements
- Need be full time science teachers
(biology, life science, earth and environmental science) at accredited
public middle or high schools in the USA
- Must form teams of four teachers from a
school district or region to work on a group project before, during and
after the field experience. All four teachers must be from different
- Need to be recommended by a department chair, principal or other supervisor
- Must be highly motivated to embrace the goals of the ECO Classroom Program
- Due to the facilities and landscape of the La Selva Biological
Station and the field work associated with this program, applicants
will need to be physically able to perform the field work and have the
ability to walk, hike or otherwise navigate through the Costa Rican
- Northrop Grumman employees and their immediate family are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Will be given to educators in underserved communities
- Only teachers who have not previously
participated in the Northrop Grumman Foundation Earthwatch Educators
program are eligible to apply
Requirements for teachers:
- Fill out and submit an ECO Classroom application form
- Obtain and submit 1) a signed letter of
recommendation, on school letterhead, from the school principal or
science department chair AND 2) a signed letter of recommendation, on
school letterhead, from a colleague familiar with your work.
- Attend a one day ECO Classroom regional
meeting during the school year prior to the field trip experience with
full release from your assignment for that day
- Possess or obtain a valid U.S. passport
- If selected, complete the appropriate liability, medical and photo release forms
- Complete post-field experience curriculum for publication on the ECO Classroom web site
- Participate in post-field experience interviews and/or surveys
- Some teachers may be asked to co-lead a workshop at National or State Science Teacher Association meeting
Tips for Success in the Application Process
- Read through the program requirements and the application document to determine your eligibility.
- Contact three other middle or high school
science (biology, ecology, environmental or earth systems science)
colleagues from your district or a neighboring district to form your ECO
Classroom team. All four teachers must be from different schools.
- Meet and decide on the focus of your group plan (see list of 5 possible group plans on application).
- Choose a group leader and name and write a single page outline of your group plan.
- Individually fill out parts A – E in the application. Each teacher submits an application, but one group plan (part F).
- Part F in the application will be your one page group plan.
- Individually obtain your 2 letters of
recommendation for Part G (remember that letters must be on letterhead
stationary). Letters should be sealed for confidentiality.
- Submit your completed application (postmarked by April 8, 2016) to:
2011 Crystal Drive, Suite 500
Arlington, VA 22202
We look forward to reading your application. You will be notified by May 15, 2016 of our group choices for the ECO Classroom program.
Thank you for your interest!
(Note: Some documents require Word Viewer or Microsoft Word. Click here to download and install Word Viewer.