Are you interested in expanding your career through experience and exposure, all the while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security of our nation and its allies If so, then Northrop Grumman may be the place for you. As a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions to customers worldwide, Northrop Grumman offers an extraordinary portfolio of capabilities and technologies. Here at Northrop Grumman we are comprised of professionals that bring different perspectives, are curious about the world, accepting of each other, and understand that the more ideas, backgrounds, and experiences we bring to our work then the more innovative we can be. As we continue to build our talented workforce we look for professionals that exemplify our core values, leadership characteristics, and approach to innovation.
Northrop Grumman Information Systems sector is seeking a Software Engineer 4 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be virtual but you must be within a two hour commute of New Carrollton, MD; Martinsburg, WV; Memphis, TN; or Detroit, MI.
Northrop Grumman is where technology and teamwork come together to accomplish the mission of our customers. Northrop Grumman is seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer. The responsibility of the position is operations and maintenance of Greenplum database system and infrastructure supporting the operations of our customer. These systems host high performance databases which are part of their critical business processing pipeline.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Administer and maintain customers Greenplum databases and Linux based hosting platform.
- Support or participate in database design and development.
- Monitor, tune and optimize Greenplum database performance, capacity and operations.
- Ensure database and hosting platform compliance with customers security, privacy, audit and data management standards. Support development or augmentation of database standards and hosting platform standards.
- Greenplum user authentication methods using native and external directory services, and password policy enforcement.
- Develop and execute shell scripts on Linux platform for automation and scheduling of repetitive actions, silent installation and upgrade of COTS.
- Configuration and troubleshooting of Linux authentication, authorization, security, encryption, secure LDAP and SSL.
- Greenplum communication encryption, log analysis and troubleshooting.
- Accelerated in-parallel data load and export to Greenplum.
- Develop and execute SQL queries and database reports.
- Develop and execute shell scripts on Linux platform for automation of repetitive actions.
- Plan, coordinate, develop, test and execute installation, upgrades and patches/fixes of Greenplum database systems and Linux based hosting platforms, and data migration between Greenplum database systems and to/from other COTS systems, for example Oracle.
- Analyze customer technical requirements and change requests, perform alternatives analysis, when required and develop and deliver solutions with varying degree of complexity for database object and schema design, data and data structure changes, authentication and authorization, data interfaces, data access and retrieval, etc.
- Experience with Greenplum database object and data backup and recovery.
- Support incident resolution for Greenplum databases, Linux based host operating system and hosting hardware platform, during normal business hours and on-call. Perform root cause analysis and develop knowledge articles where resolution steps are reusable and publish to customers designated repository.
- Follow customers change management and version control processes and procedures.
- work with users, support staff, administrators, QA staff, IT staff and vendors on bug fixes, application enhancements and system/environment enhancements
- Develop and maintain Greenplum, Linux hosting platform, interface and relevant infrastructure design, integration and configuration documents and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all solutions developed for the customer or as requested by the customer. Support walk thru, knowledge transfer using such documents to and mentoring of the customers team upon request.
- Advise senior IT and business management and executives on status, resolution of technical conflict and contention, risk assessments and mitigations.
- Support review and solution or design approvals from customers internal governance boards.
- Support development and maintenance of technical WBS (tasks), schedules, identification of technical resources, milestone definition, basis of estimates, statement of work, critical path items, etc.
- Occasional travel to data center to oversee as well as perform onsite deployments and configurations of hardware and software.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Must be US Citizen and able to obtain a MBI clearance
- 11+ Years and a Bachelors Degree or 9+ years with a Masters Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Mathematics or 15 years of experience in lieu of degree
- Candidate must be within a two hour commute of New Carrollton, MD; Martinsburg, WV; Memphis, TN or Detroit, MI. Must have the capability to work remotely (high speed internet, phone, work space, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, team player a must with attention to detail, strong customer service and problem-solving skills.
- A general understanding of massively parallel processing database systems.
- 6+ years of Greenplum database administration, and administration tools.
- Greenplum database backup to Data Domain, and backup replication to alternate site.
- Greenplum event monitoring with alert notifications.
- Greenplum performance optimizations including tuning workload, client connections, schema and table partitions; and performance and volume testing.
- Develop and execute SQL queries and database reports.
- Experience with PostgreSQL, and client tools such as psql and pgAdmin.
- Evaluation and mitigation of security scans and vulnerabilities on an on-going basis for Greenplum database system and operating system.
- Dell EMC Data Domain backup appliance administration and Dell EMC Data Computing Appliance administration a plus.
- Support and/or develop solutions for secure multi-factor authentication, and secure communication protocols for all database interfaces.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
Current MBI clearance
Dedicated experience in Greenplum administration.
Dedicated experience in Redhat Enterprise Linux.
Dedicated experience in Dell EMC Data Computing Appliance.
Dedicated experience in Dell EMC Data Domain appliance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.