The Testing and Manufacturing Engineering Manager will be required to manage the Engineering Test group and the associated testing programs related to new product development while interfacing with the production area and production test demands. This position will also include management of the Manufacturing Engineers in the areas of manufacturability of new products and the maintenance and manufacturing support of mature products interfacing with the production organization. The Testing function of this management position will require coordination of all of the testing inputs and needs from the Engineering group and support of the Production organization as necessary. It will also require the prioritization and coordination of test activities in the most efficient cost effective manner possible. The majority focus of this management position will be on the testing and test coordination efforts. Included in this position is the setup of a new electrical build and test laboratory. Any successful candidate must possess skills in this area and have the capability to build, define and maintain this new laboratory.
1. Lead and manage the Test Engineering Group, ensure technical oversight and test activities are implemented in accordance with Northrop Grumman standards and policies and industry best practices.
2. Lead and manage the Manufacturing and Production Liaison Group, ensure new supplier development, design for manufacturing, production assembly and test engineering activities are executed effectively to meet business needs.
3. Define, build and maintain a new electrical build and test laboratory.
4. Direct responsibility for the safety, quality, and fiscal performance of resources used to accomplish successful test and production support programs.
5. Drive active cooperation and ensure that the correct levels of interface between the engineering and production organizations to drive seamless interface and schedule execution.
6. Provide overall leadership and supervision of day to day engineering test operations and production liaison activities and work products (including assignments and priorities).
7. Ensure development and performance of test plans and test readiness reviews to meet all test objectives and schedules.
8. Ensures that coordination occurs between design, project and quality engineers though the development process for manufacturability and producibility of components with the highest yield and least complexity.
9. Ensure support for manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement.
10. Oversees the development and execution of value engineering projects (Design to Cost, Design for Manufacture, Design for Assembly)
11. Supports Material Review Board dispositions and material substitutions
12. Define and develop visual workplace management processes for the testing environment including making testing and test schedules visible to all key stakeholders.
13. Ensure the good standard practice and processes are captured and defined and that existing process are constantly evaluated for improvement. Leads assigned continuous improvement projects.
14. Ensure the right test and manufacturing personnel, resources, processes, and tools are in place to meet the business and engineering needs.
15. Set role and performance expectations, provide feedback and coaching, and growth opportunities for test and manufacturing engineers.
16. Provide input and manage department budget and expenses to include management of capital projects and budgets.
17. Manage the critical skills development process for the test and manufacturing engineering personnel and develop succession plans for key personnel roles.
18. Responsible for performance and compensation management process for the testing and manufacturing engineering teams.
Bachelors degree in Engineering or Sciences required
12+ years of directly related leadership in testing and manufacturing areas of expertise with mechanical and electrical products including familiarity with data acquisition and product testing.
2+ years of people leadership experience. Preferably, 5+ years in a leadership role, managing a team of engineers including performance evaluations.
Experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems.
Prior experience with generation of Master Test Plans, Test Readiness Reviews, Test Reports, etc.
Ability to lead, interact with peers, subordinates, and senior management in a matrix organizational environment.
Must be able to effectively communicate and make presentations to company senior management, suppliers and customers, represent Northrop Grumman in Test Engineering domain to external customers and other Northrop Grumman organizations.
Ability to develop test capabilities for future program and business needs.
Master of project management skills including knowledge on managing capital projects, meeting deadlines and budgets.
Demonstrated experience with root cause and corrective action process.
Prior experience with Material Review Board process is highly desired.
Desire to balance people management needs and technical contributor aspects of this position and an ability to move fluidly between these roles.
Demonstrated ability to manage the performance of diverse personalities, manage conflict, and administer performance improvement plans as needed.
Experience with coaching, developing talent, and maintaining the accountability of direct reports.
Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
Excellent writing and communication skills on status, risks and required actions for multiple projects.
Demonstrated experience working with customers to ensure project success both internal and external.
Position requires proven development history in leading multiple projects with high success
U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
Position may require domestic and international travel
Travel requirements are less than 10%.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.