Northrop Grumman helped a customer in the U.S. Intelligence Community establish DevOps Best Practices.
Northrop Grumman is a proven leader in cybersecurity.
Northrop Grumman is a full-service cloud integrator with the expertise to help you successfully navigate your modernization efforts. We take pride in working with you to foster a culture of security and innovation.
Leading Cloud Capabilities
As a proven leader in cybersecurity, Northrop Grumman has the ability to develop and implement security in support of comprehensive mission-critical environments. By enabling our expertise, customers can focus resources on their core missions and take advantage of the benefits of cloud-based computing. Northrop Grumman has complementary capabilities supporting the design of solutions in compliance with the requirements of multiple federal frameworks.
- Strategy — We have helped our government customers develop successful cloud-based strategies to achieve compliance and business objectives.
- RMF — Northrop Grumman developed a customized NIST Risk Management Framework (RMF) implementation model across cloud ecosystems.
- Architecture — As a full-service cloud integration team, we have designed and implemented complex cloud-based architectures.
- Secure Network — We have provided full-spectrum cyber solutions and capabilities safeguarding vital information.
- Monitoring — We have developed a suite of cutting-edge solutions, offering continuous monitoring to address RMF requirements.
- Compliance — Our customer-driven compliance and integration models are based on a best-of-breed, multi-dimensional cybersecurity solution.
The Path to Digital Transformation
Northrop Grumman brings our experience and deep understanding of the complexities involved in secure digital transformation.
More and more agencies and programs are adopting cloud-based solutions. Effective cloud technology enablement requires certified experts, balancing performance, risk, and cost. Northrop Grumman is here to help enable, secure, scale and manage your strategy and requirements.
Northrop Grumman uses a cohesive, effective strategy for Digital Transformation. We apply this, among other principles, to our delivery of cloud-based services and solutions, ensuring customers benefit from our thought leadership across both the business and technology aspects of cloud computing.
Managed Service Provider
We are a dedicated provider of cloud solutions and services for the sole benefit of our government customers. Our certified team of experienced cloud architects is ready to help you succeed in the private, public, and restricted cloud domains.
- Cost Estimating
- Infrastructure Management
- Incident Response
- Procurement Management
- Account Management
Our business relationships support Northrop Grumman's government cloud practice. Our service providers relationships operate under a shared responsibility model where distribution of responsibilities varies depending on the service; this model alleviates operational burden while also allowing for flexibility and tailoring to individuals needs.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partnership
Northrop Grumman is a member of the AWS Partner Network (APN) and has been recognized as an APN Advanced Consulting Partner. Northrop is also an AWS Public Sector Partner, is an authorized AWS Solution Provider and has achieved its AWS Government Competency and its AWS DevOps Competency.
Northrop Grumman's AWS DevOps Practice
Implementing AWS DevOps practices necessitates a cultural shift that leads to new mindsets, processes, reporting structures, and roles and responsibilities as well as an investment in training and infrastructure. AWS DevOps practices promote lean processes that deliver value through the use of cross-functional, self-organized teams. These practices improve collaboration between separate organizations — Development and Operations — typically motivated by different objectives, with the goal of enabling frequent, seamless delivery of quality products.
Northrop Grumman combines Agile iterative development and DevOps process automation to enable an agency to deliver viable products faster by increasing the velocity of lifecycle iterations — code, build, test, deploy, and operate. Teams apply process automation to distinct system components such as network, compute, and storage solutions. This practice promotes a high degree of flexibility, reuse and integration. In addition, monitoring, analytic dashboards, and altering mechanisms communicate status of the DevOps pipeline to inform all team members. Successful adoption of the DevOps requires a holistic approach that addresses six foundational elements.
Northrop Grumman uses the AWS Well-Architected Framework as a guide to DevOps best practices to ensure that DevOps implementations support the architecture and the long term goals for the system. This framework contains five pillars to ensure consistent evaluation of cloud solutions.
- Operational Excellence
- Performance Efficiency
- Cost Operation
With respect to DevOps, the framework ensures that automation supports the security, resiliency, and performance requirements while optimizing cost, and that the process is consistent, measurable, and repeatable.
Northrop Grumman DevOps practice features the following (and growing) list of AWS services:
- Simple Notification System (SNS)
- Simple Queue Service (SQS)
- Simple Storage Service (S3)/Glacier
- Elastic Load Balancing/Auto Scaling
- Config/Inspector/Trusted Advisor/CodeGuru
- Key Management Service (KMS)/Secrets Manager/Parameter Store
AWS DevOps Case Studies
Click on the Case Studies to learn how Northrop Grumman helped customers in the U.S. Intelligence Community and the DoD establish DevOps best practices.
Deep Dives on DevOps and Cloud Applications
*Please note that you will be leaving the Northrop Grumman website.
Northrop Grumman's AWS Cloud Migration Practice
The Cloud is fundamental to Digital Transformation, enabling innovation for business optimization. Migrating to the AWS Cloud is a commitment organizations make to align their business & IT strategy for security, performance efficiency, operational excellence, reliability, and cost optimization. By attaining the benefits of moving to the Cloud, organizations will be able to seamlessly deliver faster services with significant improvements in performance, maximizing value streams both to customers and their operations.
Northrop Grumman is a dedicated AWS Consulting Solutions partner with a proven track record of excellence in providing Migration Solutions hosted on the AWS Cloud. Northrop Grumman tailors unique solutions for each customer by applying our proprietary Migration methodology and the AWS Well-Architected Framework to streamline the process and efficiently migrate mission critical workloads to the Cloud. For application migrations,we apply our RAPITD»OPS™ methodology, the details of which are proprietary.
RAPITD»OPS™ Assesses your software code quality, recommends necessary changes, and positions your applications or systems for migration to other supported platforms or to the cloud quickly, securely and effectively.
- Discover: This phase performs detailed requirements and scope assessment of your legacy code base and identifies associated risks and mitigations plans.
- Baseline: With a holistic view of the ‘as is’ environment, this phase allows development and engineering teams to chart a go-forward plan allowing available resources to be applied in ways that are more accurate and less time consuming.
- Study: This phase ensures that new or changed solutions are aligned to enterprise architecture and security requirements with detailed analysis of High Risk Items and delivers a Risk Mitigation and Cost Reduction plan.
Baselined systems are categorized by the 7 R’s of migration:
- Repurchase – decommission and replace with available cloud-based solution
- Rehost – move to the cloud without change
- Replatform – move to the cloud, taking advantage of cloud services
- Refactor – rework and adapt to the cloud
- Retire – decommission without a replacement
- Retain – don't migrate, there is not a good business case
- Relocate – convert on-premise VMs to cloud VMs
- Development: This phase identifies the appropriate expertise required to complete development, systems integration and migration.
- Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Continual Improvement (CI): The last phase of the lifecycle provides O&M readiness assessment, ensures all requisite documentation, scripting and training are conducted and supporting service management (e.g. ITIL) disciplines are aligned
Northrop Grumman Cloud Migration Processes and Services
- Snow family
- Storage Gateway
- Transfer for sFTP
- Data Sync
- Kinesis Firehose
- Data Migration Service (DMS)
- Schema Conversion Tool (SCT)
- Serverless Database: Aurora and Synamo Db
- VM Relocation
- Serverless Application Model/ Lambda Modernization
- Server Migration Service
Container Architecture Modernization
- Application Load Balancer (ALB)
- Elastic Container Service (ECS)
- Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS)
AWS Cloud Migration Case Studies
AWS APN Ambassador Program
Northrop Grumman participates in the AWS APN Ambassador Program, a community of technical experts in the AWS Partner Network (APN) Consulting Partner community. APN Ambassadors work closely with AWS Solution Architects and AWS service teams to bring the highest quality solutions to their customers.