Mgr Research Development 1
Requisition ID: R10046032
- Category: Research and Sciences
- Location: Elkton, MD, USA
- Citizenship Required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems is currently seeking a Manager, Research and Development 1 for our Elkton, Maryland location.
The Northrop Grumman Propulsion Systems and Controls (PS&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton PS&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
Elkton, Maryland is located on the Upper Chesapeake Bay, midway between Philadelphia and Baltimore. Discover charming small towns, parks with miles of trails, specialty and antique shops, award winning restaurants, and inns. You can hike, bike, camp, bird watch, ride horseback, or drop a fishing line. Five rivers, Chesapeake Bay and the C&D Canal can be explored by boat or by land. Experience panoramic views from Turkey Point Lighthouse on a bluff overlooking the Bay, or from the banks of the C&D Canal where ships from around the globe cruise. https://www.ccgov.org/government/tourism
This research and development management position is responsible for supervisory or management responsibilities for projects engaged in initiating, designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research. Develops theories for understanding, characterizing, and organizing natural phenomena into a systematic and meaningful pattern for research into potential new products or inventions. May participate in intellectual property evaluations and development of patent applications. May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts. This is a working manager position. The incumbent will be expected to lead a team of engineering technicians and support on going operational tasks and/or select research projects.
Responsible for daily operations of a team of Engineering technicians. Duties to include direct supervision of the staff, assignment of work, schedules, and day to day workflow. Lead and develop team of engineering technicians with one-on-one meetings, prompt feedback, and formal reviews. Work closely with project and integrated product teams (IPT) to develop advanced propulsion systems. Work closely with systems engineers, project engineers and quality engineers to ensure requirements are met. Must become familiar with operations in the thermal laboratory (DSC, TGA, TMA and thermal conductivity tester), the laboratory magazines, laboratory propellant mixing bays, propellant machining laboratory, rocket motor prototyping laboratory, and propellant safety testing laboratory.
- 5 years’ experience within a laboratory setting
- Ability to monitor work operations daily and actively provide direction to subordinates as needed
- Demonstrated independent work skills, technical expertise, innovation, problem solving and decision making
- Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens and capable of obtaining a Secret level government security clearance
- Bachelors degree with PhD degree in Chemistry or Material Science highly preferred
- Experience with solid rocket motor propellants is highly desirable
- Previous management/supervisory experience highly desirable
- Experience with thermal laboratory equipment (DSC, TGA, TMA, and thermal conductivity tester)
- Active Secret clearance
This position falls under a Federal Explosives License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for this location. Candidates hired into this role will be required to complete and submit an Employee Possessor Questionnaire to ATF for approval to be a possessor."
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.
- district of columbia
- new hampshire
- new jersey
- new mexico
- new york
- north carolina
- north dakota
- rhode island
- south carolina
- south dakota
- virgin islands
- west virginia