Systems Engineer, Navy Training Systems
Requisition ID: R10129369
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: Not Applicable (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems is seeking a System Engineer for integration, system administration and cyber security for submarine training systems for the U. S. Navy at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, RI.
The responsibilities for this position are to design, develop, install and integrate training systems that support both the Naval Submarine and Surface Ship fleets. Qualified applicants should have engineering experience related to design, development and integration. Qualified applicants will perform the following tasks:
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, system services, application software and system management tools for Linux and Windows based systems, both natively and within virtual machines
- Analyze and resolve problems associated with operating systems, hardware, applications and software.
- Monitor and test system performance and ensure compliance with security standards.
- Monitor and test application performance to identify issues with installation and performance and to identify possible solutions and work with developers to implement fixes
- Troubleshoot complex computer systems and networking to diagnose and suggest/implement potential solutions
- Develop and support a complex build process organized to ensure correct and repeatable integration and delivery
- Write and maintain custom scripts to streamline system builds, installations and testing of software and configurations to reduce human intervention time on repeatable tasks
- Work with vendors and other IT personnel to resolve problems
- Propose process improvements to reduce installation time and increase reliability while ensuring system security
- Support physical hardware installation of IT computing equipment and cabling with development infrastructure
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or other related field.
- Demonstrated skills in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Linux and to a lesser extent Microsoft Windows based environments
- Demonstrated skills in Linux operating systems, preferably Red Hat Enterprise Linux RHEL or Community Enterprise Operating System (CentOS) distributions
- Scripting skills (e.g., bash shell scripts)
- Good communication skills
- Computer System/Networking troubleshooting skills
- Active Security Clearance
- Current IAT Level I Certifications
- Demonstrated skills in Virtualization Technologies, both VMWare ESXi and Redhat KVM
- Software deployment technologies, e.g., Red Hat Package Management (RPM) and yum
- Linux and Cisco Certifications
- Networking knowledge (OSI Network Layers, TCP/IP, DHCP)
- Computer/Electronics Hardware knowledge using Intel server configurations
- Cisco switch/router configurations
- KVM architectures
- Experience with System Build Automation Tools (Linux kickstart, Puppet, Ansible, Windows Deployment Server (WDS))
- Configuration management experience with both centralized and distributed version control systems (e.g., SVN and Git) and the best practices for using them, as well as familiarity with different software CM development workflows, branching and merging strategies
- Experience with virtualization technologies, preferably Red Hat KVM (e.g., Red Hat KVM, VMware, libvirt/virsh)
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.