Senior Staff Digital Design Systems Engineer, Transformational Computing
Requisition ID: R10123556
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Linthicum, Maryland, United States of America | Annapolis Junction, Maryland, United States of America+ 1 more
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Polygraph
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
The Transformational Computing business within Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is a highly motivated, talented, and growing organization focused on advancing the science and engineering of superconducting electronic systems into new capabilities and products. Transformational Computing is developing the technologies to transform computing beyond Moore’s Law by advancing development of computer architectures, processing and memory subsystems, and large scale high performance computing systems.
The Systems Engineering group is seeking an experienced Digital Design Systems Engineer using FPGA and ASIC to perform front-end system design activities and product development. Reporting to the Systems Engineering Lead, the Digital Design Engineer will collaborate with research scientists and product teams to perform system architecture and design activities. As a member of the product development teams, the Digital Design Engineer will develop advanced computing research into product designs and architectures. While the focus is on hardware/software systems, a cross-functional team will be needed that can apply aspects of microwave and analog electronics, digital hardware design, mechanical and thermal design, and environmental control.
The Digital Design Systems Engineer will:
- Lead the systems engineering effort, support systems and the target transformational computing system. This senior systems engineering role is expected to work across the transformational computing group.
- The systems engineer will be responsible for the definition of system requirements and associated verification and validation approaches. The system engineer shall be expected to work with customers, scientists and engineers.
- The systems engineering effort will use a model-based systems engineering methodology as adapted to support an R&D environment in support of the development of tools and advanced computational systems.
- As part of a cross-functional systems team, mentor, and cross-train other team members.
- Lead the trade study definition, metrics development and evaluations for the use of novel technologies to aid in the development of support tools and target transformational computing systems.
- Working with the SEIT Lead, they will lead, establish, and enforce the adoption of standard processes, configuration management, and good engineering practices
- Engage in systems thinking and demonstrate technical leadership.
- Willingness to learn and understand state of the art concepts and technologies that are foundational to the transformational computing technical architectures.
This position will serve on-site in Linthicum/ Annapolis Junction, MD.
Basic Qualifications for Senior Staff Digital Design Engineer:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or a similar technical discipline with 14 years of related experience, or 12 years with a Master's Degree, or 9 years with a PhD.
- This position requires the applicant to be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI with poly clearance per business requirements.
- Experience and direct technical knowledge of all of the following:
- Experience with full product life cycle (requirements, design, implementation, and test) of ASIC design.
- Working knowledge of the front-end ASIC design flow from RTL to gates (RTL coding, simulation, synthesis, static timing analysis, logic equivalence, DFT insertion).
- Proficiency with current ASIC design tools for all phases described below: Simulation – Mentor ModelSim, Cadence Excelium, Incisive or Synopsys VCS - Synthesis – Synopsys Design Compiler, Cadence Genus or Cadence RTL Compiler - Static Timing – Synopsys Primetime or Cadence Tempus.
- Design, development, creation, and modification of digital logic designs implemented with (FPGAs) Xilinx and Microchip FPGA IDEs.
- Simulation and verification of FPGA logic designs, compliance requirements, and supporting validation at the system level.
Preferred Qualifications for Senior Staff Digital Design Engineer:
- Experience leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience in custom hardware system design.
- Knowledge or experience in microwave, high-speed digital or cryogenic test.
- Active TS/SCI with poly security clearance.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.