Director 1 - Hardware Design and Implementation Lead
Requisition ID: R10124100
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Roy, Utah, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you’ll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman’s Space Systems sector is looking for a Director 1, Design Engineering for Command and Launch Command and Control Hardware Design and Implementation lead. This leadership role is located in Roy, Utah. Northrop Grumman supports the Air Force’s sustainment, development, production and deployment of hardware and system modifications for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Ground and Airborne Launch Control Systems, Launch Facilities and associated infrastructure.
What You Will Get To Do:
Drive Design engineering execution across the SDS Division portfolio of programs while reporting into the Strategic Deterrent Systems Division’s Engineering and Manufacturing Operations organization. The Command and Control (C2) Hardware Design and implementation lead will:
- Participate in establishing and direct the implementation of integrated design engineering process across the C2 Organization, driving consistency and implementation across program/product teams at all national locations and multiple subcontractor locations.
- Participate in establishing and direct the implementation of design engineering processes used in the design and development of the SDS Division, at all levels of decomposition.
- Manage all aspects of process development, training and development across mission/weapon system engineering, subsystem/component design engineering as well as nuclear surety and SDS program specific processes and enablers
- Ensure Design Engineering product quality and consistency and manage auditing and oversight functions, including metrics development and management.
- Interface closely with the product/program team leadership and implement systems engineering priorities for the team
- Lead and oversee all architectural scope for the C2 Hardware including:
- Command and Control of Launch systems
- Physical Security systems
- Maintenance systems
- Network management and monitoring
- Monitoring and Control
- Wing operations
- Work across product teams and the C&L Segment to ensure that hardware design and network architectures are consistent, holistic, robust, and maintainable.
- Programmatic and technical execution, oversight & management for Command and Control hardware in the Command and Launch Segment to include commercial and custom hardware solutions.
- Ensure on time release of all hardware engineering, focusing on hardware design compliance and PDP release
- Successfully deliver Command and Control hardware designs and implementations in support of the Sentinel Command and Launch Segment. Specifics include custom hardware, integration of COTS components, and computer hardware integration
- Ensure Command and Control hardware successfully integrates with the rest of the weapon system (both internally to Command and Launch and to the other Sentinel Segments (S&T, AVE, SEIT, Digital Ecosystem) as required
- Ensure successful integration of supplier hardware solutions to the overall Command and Launch
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to all levels of engineering staff.
- Support segment allocation and coordination of hardware engineering resources across various efforts.
- Provide support to various business development and capture efforts as required
- Ensure clear lines of communication with the customer regarding technical and programmatic topics of interest.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Horizontally integrate across Design Engineering directorate as well as members of the Engineering and Manufacturing Operations organization to ensure consistency of design engineering approach. This will help identify areas of opportunity to support upcoming challenges that are not currently being elevated.
- Provide independent review of portfolio software, hardware and deliverables, focused deep dives in program and product teams, as well as driving compliance to processes and procedures.
- Identify opportunities for and support of engagement activities across all programs.
- Identify and mentor high potential technical leaders.
- Provide advisement to all program leads (as required) and embedded resources.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Space Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
This positions standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
This role may offer a competitive relocation assistance package.
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM with at least 10 years of progressive engineering experience, or Master’s and 8 years’ of experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience formally leading engineering teams/and or organizations to achieve a common goal.
- Active DoD Secret clearance, investigation must have been completed within last 5 years
- ICBM or complex aerospace systems experience
- Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) experience
- Design Engineering/Computer-aided Design (CAD) experience
- Prior experience interfacing with prime contractor site leads and USAF leadership personnel
- Active DoD TS/SCI clearance
- Experience leading the performance of tasks on schedule, at cost and achieving all requirements as either project lead, integrated program team or cost account manager
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through managing people and understanding and management of internal processes and customer/supplier relationships.
- Strong understanding and broad application of complex engineering systems (engineering standards, configuration management, material review board, process control, tooling, facilities, software, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience with high value customer presentations, with ability to focus on multiple projects with competing priorities
- Experience in working closely with customers to ensure delivery of systems that meet warfighter needs
- Ability to collaborate and achieve consensus when dealing with groups from diverse organizations and backgrounds
- Demonstrated experience in making sound decisions in uncertain and difficult situations
- Strong sense of urgency and work ethic in ensuring engineering meets customer and program expectations in a timely and efficient manner
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.