Staff Engineer Electromechanical
Requisition ID: R10129269
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Redondo Beach, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems (NGAS) has an opening for a Staff Electro-Mechanical Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
You’ll be joining the Vehicle Integration (VI) organization. The VI organization provides innovative research, technology development and engineering for aircraft advanced design, including mechanical design and mechanisms, thermal systems, environment control systems, secondary power systems, fuel systems, hydraulic systems, fire protection systems and electrical systems.
The selected candidate will apply electrical, electronic and mechanical principles to components and systems, including advanced design concepts, analysis, trade study evaluation and documentation of results, configuration development, and integration of assemblies, sub-assemblies and components into next higher assembly configurations. Position will require travel approximately 10%.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Mechanisms Subsystems Responsible Engineer and Architect
- Provide development support for aircraft mechanical and/or electro-mechanical systems.
- Primary role is to provide mechanical and/or electro-mechanical support for aircraft systems across multiple aspects associated with the development, procurement, and integration of components associated with aircraft mechanical systems (mechanisms), such as requirements generation/derivation/verification, component analysis, supplier management, test data post processing, qualification, and shipside support to help troubleshoot issues.
- Must be capable of working independently under minimal supervision and as part of a large multi-disciplined team.
- Responsible for performing system related analysis in support of the development of aircraft mechanical subsystems, as well as integration to the vehicle management systems.
- Responsible for creating layouts of mechanical system architecture, including integration of mechanical or electrical actuation related to door drive systems, utility mechanisms, uplocks, etc.
- Responsible for performing responsible engineer activities, which include all aspects of system/component design and development including trade studies, layouts, architecture definition, system test & verification, and troubleshooting. These activities may also include participating on a subcontractor management team and will act as the technical point of contact with suppliers for hardware development, qualification, and procurement.
- Responsible for system level test planning, execution support, verification, data processing, and troubleshooting.
- Responsible for performing system level evaluations to verify requirements and ensure airworthiness criteria are met.
- Participate in and attend internal program, customer and/or supplier technical exchange meetings and/or formal program milestone reviews to provide and/or obtain progress status updates.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, well-organized with good problem-solving skills, able to perform effectively despite concurrent work tasks and will possess strong communication, leadership, team coordination and mentoring skills. The successful candidate will also thrive in the fast-paced advanced design work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative/team settings across all levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university and 14 years of engineering experience OR Master’s Degree and 12 years of engineering experience OR a PhD. Degree and 9 years of experience.
- Prior experience with aircraft mechanical systems and mechanisms
- Prior experience with 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) software applications
- Familiarity with industry standard software application tools such as Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Visio, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, etc.
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government DoD Secret security clearance is required to start
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
- Experience with Siemens NX CAD application, including NX Motion module
- Prior experience in leading a team of engineers
- Prior experience in coordinating with multiple Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) within a dynamic program environment
- Experience with suppliers and supplier coordination
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.