Mechanical Engineer / Principal Mechanical Engineer (Vehicle Subsystem Performance Modeling)
Requisition ID: R10125571
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Melbourne, Florida, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has multiple openings for Mechanical Engineer / Principal Mechanical Engineers with established experience in aircraft fluid subsystems development to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within our Vehicle Organization. These roles are located in Melbourne, FL. This position may be filled at a higher grade based on the qualifications below.
In these roles, candidates may be involved in multiple aspects in the development of fluid aircraft subsystems, such as analysis, verifying requirements, test data post processing, and working shipside to help troubleshoot issues. These fluid aircraft subsystems include, but are not limited to, Environmental Control Systems, Liquid Cooling Systems, Hydraulic Systems, and Fuel Systems.
- Tasking includes performing system related analysis in support of the development of aircraft subsystems as well as the integration of aircraft avionics and the installation of various aircraft hardware. Analysis can include, but not limited to, subsystem performance modeling, liquid cooling systems, air cycle systems, fluid distribution systems, and compartment temperature assessments as influenced by structural heat transfer and compartment heat sources.
- Tasking may include system level test planning, execution support, verification, data processing, and troubleshooting.
- Tasking may include system level evaluations to verify requirements and ensure airworthiness criteria are met.
- Attend internal program, customer and/or supplier technical exchange meetings and/or formal program milestone reviews to provide and/or obtain progress status updates.
- The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative/team settings across all levels.
- The basic qualifications of the Engineer Mechanical are a Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline AND 2 years of engineering experience.
- The basic qualifications of the Principal Engineer Mechanical are a Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline AND 5 years of engineering experience, OR Master’s degree AND 3 years of engineering experience.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance prior to the commencement of employment.
- Have an active DoD Secret or higher clearance (with a background investigation completed within the last 6 years or currently enrolled into Continuous Evaluation)
- Current/active Special Program Access (PAR/SAP).
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with focus on thermodynamic, fluid mechanic and/or heat transfer disciplines.
- Experience with aircraft subsystem development, with requirements definition, specification development, component analysis, procurement, source selection, integration and test and verification for advance aircraft.
- Experience performing thermodynamic, fluid mechanic and/or heat transfer analysis related to military/commercial aircraft and subsystems.
- Experience modeling fluid systems utilizing Amesim, Matlab/Simulink, Flowmaster, Thermal Desktop, and/or STAR-CCM+ software.
- Experience with the military airworthiness certification process using MIL-HDBK-516.
- Experience interpreting component detail drawings, specifications, installation drawings, and test procedures.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.