Engineering Authority - FCAS
Requisition ID: R10112050
- Category: Engineering
- Location: New Malden, London, United Kingdom
- Citizenship required: United Kingdom Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Security Check (SC)
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 2
The Engineering and Strategy Manager is a critical role in realising the potential of Northrop Grumman’s growth of UK Defence Business, primarily through supporting a specific account and secondarily supporting wider Defence engagement as a senior technical leader.
The role will report to the relevant Defence Account Lead, and is accountable for the line management of the account’s engineering workforce, as well as technical leadership through the deliveries, and has delegated accountabilities for ensuring the technical quality of work performed.
Driven by enthusiasm of changes and innovations in the Defence industry, the Engineering and Strategy Manager will support the relevant Defence Chief Technologist in setting and delivering the technical direction through understanding trends, risks and opportunities, to bring a clear-eyed view as to what should be adopted now and in the future.
Technical & Customer Engagement
- Contribute to shaping our clients’ technical direction, projecting thought leadership, prioritising time with clients to gain mission intimacy and to increase Northrop Grumman’s technical ‘presence’.
- Responsible for producing and maintaining an Account Strategic Implementation Plan, providing support to the relevant Chief Technologist.
- Contributes to the Defence technical strategy and engaging our workforce and our clients in that strategy; making sure that the work we are doing is current and aligned with the Technical Strategy.
- Provides technical direction for the Engineering workforce allocated to the Account, working collaboratively and seeking guidance from with the relevant Defence Chief Technologist.
- Accountable for the technical quality of the artefacts the Account produces, ensuring deliverables have been produced in line with the Business processes.
- Supports the Account Lead and relevant Chief Technologist by identifying Account technical capability gaps and obsolescence ensuring that actions are taken to address, such as internal movement, recruitment etc.
- Support the implementation of process improvements with the Practice Leads.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks as requested.
Resourcing & Workforce Management
- Accountable for the leadership and management of the Engineering workforce aligned to the Account.
- Develop and maintain workforce plans with the Account leadership, covering resourcing, training and development. Work with EA’s from the other accounts in DOU to share resource as necessary to meet business priorities.
- Ensure career progression is in alignment to the relevant competency framework & expected behaviours, and NG Leadership Characteristics. Promoting the relevant Practice for the associated materials to support career discussions and development.
- Supporting the Practice Leads in the development and implementation of initiatives or materials, where required through either support resources, partnership, promoting general workforce engagement or participation in the Practice.
- Ensure that managers are providing consistent and effective support to their teams. Including tasks such as (but not limited to) career development, talent management, performance management, resource and leave management.
- Work with the Account Leads and Defence Chief Technologists to deliver a team that meets the OU vision and strategy through structured training and recruitment.
- Working with the Account Lead to ensure that the Account are fully focused on driving ‘Time on Mission’. Working with their teams to drive the education and awareness required to support our employee’s ability to be working on mission and accurate time reporting.
General Operational duties
- Ensure business successes are actively identified and celebrated (both teams and individuals).
- Have a good understanding of business processes and be able to provide guidance to teams.
- Ensure compliance across the account with all applicable Engineering, Customer and Business policies and procedures.
- Act as a role model, exhibiting NG’s values at all times.
- Act as a Northrop Grumman Brand Ambassador.
- Actively promote diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrable experience in the Defence industry relevant to the Account.
- Significant demonstrable full-lifecycle Defence development experience relevant to the Account.
- An individual that is personally excited by changes in technology as a part of their daily life and enjoys the challenge of how to harness disruptive and transformative technologies for the benefit of our clients.
- An individual that is looking to play a major part in growing a business to its full potential.
- Excellent client relationship-building skills based on a passion to solve our clients’ complex mission challenges: a collaborative individual with the confidence and integrity to earn customer and internal stakeholders’ confidence.
- Excellent strategist and communicator who can provide clear and concise messaging both externally to clients and internally within Northrop Grumman.
- Excellent leadership skills in engaging Northrop Grumman’s workforce in our technical strategy and what it means to them and to foster innovation (in line with the technical strategy towards areas of future market growth).
- Adept at dealing with competing priorities and deadlines at a leadership level. A good coach and delegator to enable force multiplication.
- Travel requirements: Some UK travel required to attend team and customer meetings. Occasional international travel may be required.
- Clearance requirements: Must hold and maintain suitable clearance (domain dependent).
- Valid UK passport and driving licence.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.