Operations Research Engineering Manager 1
Requisition ID: R10127499
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Northridge, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Advanced Weapons has an opening for a Systems Engineering Manager 1, to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be in Northridge, CA.
The candidate selected for this position will also assume a 40% part-time functional manager role and will have responsibility for supporting direct reports with staffing, knowledge transfer, training, educational reimbursement, and the Workday performance management lifecycle (goal planning, midpoint reviews, year-end reviews, alignment/calibration, and compensation planning). This position reports to a Systems Engineering Sr Manager.
Roles and responsibilities:
A successful candidate will have the qualities and essential functional expertise to:
- Support senior manager in executing the strategy to motivate and to ensure a high performing engineering team. This includes use of Development Plans, stretch assignments, 1:1 feedback, coaching, training, and other tools.
- People leadership for a military operations research/analysis engineering organization, to include performance management, employee engagement and recognition.
- Manage the workload of the employees and balance employee needs with business goals.
- Apply sound engineering principles, metrics, and ensures compliance with all published processes and standards in our technical solutions.
- Ensure deliverables meet technical quality, cost & schedule objectives.
- Provide proposal inputs and review proposal content for both internal and external customers.
- Support estimation of labor and review of Basis of Estimate documents for proposals associated with domain.
- Support Operations Research/Analysis Engineering team deliverables from proposal through delivery & sustainment across the Advanced Weapons Business Unit
- Manage the staffing profile for a team of 12+ operations research/analysis engineers.
- Excellent communication, mentoring, interpersonal skills, and the ability to collaborate with senior management, peers, and employees.
- Responsible for the people, processes, and tools that support the operations research/analysis engineering teams.
- Own and lead improvements across employee engagement, hiring, development, training, attraction, and retention of top talent
- Mentor, develop, and train team members.
- Interface with all levels of leadership to meet or exceed performance for all program deliverables.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline preferred and 5 years of related experience, or a Master's degree and 3 years of related experience, or 0 years of experience with a PhD. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Able to work well within a team environment and adapt quickly to change.
- Strong leadership qualities, including excellent communication and collaboration, team engagement, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of the Agile process and tools such as Jira, Cameo, Confluence, etc.
- Ability to obtain Secret (or higher) clearance.
- Experience with system of systems modeling tools: AFSIM, Suppressor, or Brawler
- Experience with version control tools (Bitbucket, GitHub, or Gitlab, etc.)
- Analysis of Survivability, Lethality, Vulnerability, Engagement at the mission level
- Experience integrating plug-ins to AFSIM
- Knowledge of RF Threat Modeling
- Knowledge of Electronic Attack techniques and modeling
- Prior experience in leading a team of 5+.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment where multiple projects are being developed and deployed simultaneously.
- Previous functional management experience leading a team of operations research/analysis engineers for at least 1 year or more.
- Previous functional management experience leading a team of engineers for at least 1 year or more.
- Experience as a IPT Lead, Team Lead, Project manager, or other demonstrated leadership role related to program execution.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value, with the ability to build milestone schedules for execution purposes.
- Active Top-Secret Clearance
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.