Manager Engineering 2
Requisition ID: R10128260
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Sunnyvale, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: Days (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is a trusted provider of mission-enabling solutions for global security. Our Engineering and Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Manager Engineering 2, reporting to the Manager of Engineering for VIRGINIA and FORD Class Production Team. The Manager Engineering 2 manages a talented team of multi-discipline production support engineers. This team works closely with manufacturing and quality teams to resolve production issues, to identify and to execute efficiency improvement projects, and to implement design changes when needed. This manager is responsible for the well-being, competency and growth of his/her team. This position is located in Sunnyvale, CA and will oversee production supports on products such as
- Steam Turbine Generators
- Reduction Gear Propulsion System
In this role, the Manager Engineering 2 will be responsible for the following:
- Accountable for the daily execution of engineering tasks
- Ensure the team is appropriately staffed and with the appropriate skillsets
- Foster a culture of positive change that will lead to improvements in engineering and program performance
- Ensure research and development investments are aligned with strategic imperatives
- Ensure work product is in compliance to established design guidelines and processes
- Partner with other engineering managers on skillset development strategies and practices pertinent to all of the engineering department
- Drive predictable financial and program results
- Position requires travel up to 10% of the time
Candidate must have exceptional leadership and teambuilding skills, strategic thinking, strong technical acumen, and the ability to lead multiple engineering disciplines. The candidate will work with cross-discipline team members and therefore must have excellent communication skills, presentation experience and the ability to work seamlessly with a diverse team to achieve the goals of the organization. The candidate must have the ability to build consensus and resolve conflict and act decisively. The candidate must collaborate with business area leadership, and other functional partners (e.g., Business Development, Business Management) to resolve complex issues in a timely manner to help meet program commitments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM discipline with 9 years of relevant experience; OR a Master's Degree in a STEM discipline with 5 years of relevant experience;
- U.S Citizenship with active DoD Secret Clearance.
- Proven track record of managing direct reports of various levels and disciplines
- Ability to provide technical communication and coordination with senior leadership.
- Experience in executing trade studies, managing technical performance metrics, and requirements development
- Create, improve and sustain engineering systems, standards, and processes.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple products/programs with the focus on delivering within cost and on schedule.
- Engineering experience across multiple phases of the program lifecycle (i.e., conceptual design, technology maturation, preliminary/detailed design, integration, qualification, low-rate initial production, and full rate production)
- Advanced degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or related technical fields.
- Program or functional management experience
- Experience with large scale electric motor and generator design, especially in naval applications
- Experience with design and integration of complex electro-mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability with modeling, design, and implementation of control system architectures
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), requirements development, or technical project management experience preferred.
- Understanding and knowledge of Agile (SCRUM) techniques and activities.
- Knowledge of technology road map development
- Experience with proposals development and Earned Value Management Systems
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.