Manager Engineering 2
Requisition ID: R10130167
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Sunnyvale, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 2
This position is for an Engineering Manager supporting the Marine Systems Strategic Launcher Engineering and Science department in Sunnyvale, CA. The Engineering Manager is responsible for both functional management and technical supervision of a multi-discipline Product Team supporting Missile Launcher Programs.
The Engineering Manager balances program technical demands and people management.
Functional responsibilities include: ensuring the people, processes, and tools are in place to meet program cost, schedule, and technical performance requirements. The manager is responsible for staffing decisions, training, employee development, performance evaluation, compensation decisions, and employee career development.
Technical responsibilities include: technical oversight of the design, system and sub system requirements of naval qualified missile launch hardware and systems. Areas of aptitude include: design of fabricated and machined components, non-metallic components, system integration, load path and stress analysis, and production support problem resolution. The manager will be accountable for schedule, budget, and technical performance of product team tasks. The manager will also be responsible for oversight of technical reviews, analysis and test reports, special projects, trade studies, sustaining activities, and customer reviews.
As first line management for many employees, the manager will enhance and encourage employee development with career advice and training as well as notifying employees when suitable career advancement positions are available. This manager will interact frequently with program management team as well as customer representatives. The ideal candidate should have strong communications skills and the ability to connect to direct reports and internal customers on multiple levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) discipline with 9 years of engineering experience; OR a Master's Degree in a STEM discipline with 7 years of engineering experience; OR a PhD in a STEM discipline with 5 years of engineering experience
- US Citizenship, with the ability to receive DoD Secret clearance (or higher)
- Strong fundamentals in mechanical or system engineering
- Experience in technical, program, project, or functional/people management
- Production issues resolution
- Strong leadership qualities, including excellent communication and collaboration, team engagement, and organizational skills
- Master’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) discipline (preferred Mechanical Engineering)
- Experience as a Technical Lead, Project Manager, or other demonstrated leadership role related to program execution
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), requirements development, or technical project management experience preferred.
- Understanding and knowledge of Agile (SCRUM) techniques and activities
- Knowledge of Design Engineering processes, procedures and work instructions required to support both management and engineering tasks.
- Experience with proposals and Earned Value
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.