Senior Principal Thermal Engineer
Requisition ID: R10123239
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Shift: Days (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage, and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, but they’re also making history.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Design advanced electronics thermal management solutions using heat transfer principles to meet optimal thermal performance.
- Perform electronics thermal analysis requiring experience in heat transfer including liquid cooled, air-cooled, two-phase flow, and refrigeration thermal solutions for Mission Systems platforms systems such as airborne, ground based, and naval applications.
- Lead thermal designs by owning thermal requirements, thermal architecture, and thermal performance of the design.
- Provide oral and written presentations to internal and external customers as well as mentor less experienced thermal engineers.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 9 years of related experience, 7 years with a Master, 4 years with a PhD.
- U.S Citizenship with the ability to obtain/maintain an active DoD Secret Clearance
- Thermal engineering experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work efficiently in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Strong hands-on work ethic.
- Advanced Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with concentration in Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics
- Active DoD Secret Clearance or higher
- Experience advancing the state of the art for next generation electronics thermal design
- Knowledge of thermal management techniques such as Finite Volume Analysis, Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Prior electronics cooling experience with an emphasis on thermal management design
- Prior experience leading the thermal design of systems, CCAs and microelectronics level thermal designs.
- Extensive thermal design verification testing experience
- Extensive experience mentoring junior engineers.
This position is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active DoD Secret Clearance or the transferal of an active DoD Secret Clearance.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
Link to Benefits: https://totalrewards.northropgrumman.com/
This positions standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.