Manager Materials and Analysis Engineer 1
Requisition ID: R10124613
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: Not Applicable (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, located in Baltimore, MD, is seeking a Materials and Analysis Engineering Manager to lead a functional team of Materials, Processes and Failure Analysis Engineers. This team is responsible for the design and development of proprietary materials, support of RCCA investigations through detailed failure analysis, electrical testing in support of hardware troubleshooting, support of the hardware design process through determination of materials used for various designs and environments, manufacturing support including brazing and additive manufacturing supplier audit support, and materials management.
This position will report into the Advanced Mission Capabilities (AMC) Advanced Engineering organization, located at the Baltimore, MD (BWI) campus. This position is dual role, and includes both functional management aspects, and technical projects. The various management tasks typically comprise approximately 20% of time, on average. The manager will be expected to maintain a technical or project leadership role that comprises the remaining 80%.
The functional manager’s roles and responsibilities include:
- Managing a functional group comprised of approximately 5-8 materials engineers of varying experience levels, including performance management, merit planning, job assignment management/prioritization, career development, new employee onboarding and coaching.
- Engaging the functional team with timely flow-down of information and fostering robust collaboration within the team.
- Collaborating with project team leads in order to support project planning and execution activities, labor and material cost estimation, staffing, design process execution, etc.
- Maintaining awareness of each group member’s project responsibilities and performance, providing guidance, and helping them to identify resources needed to overcome obstacles and meet project objectives.
- Helping develop and maintain a working knowledge of applicable internal and industry processes, guidelines, policies, best practices, and ensuring that all functional team members are aware of and are compliant with these items.
- Supporting or leading department initiatives, which could include process improvement, workforce engagement, talent recruiting and interviewing, training material development, technology roadmap development, cross-organization collaboration, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or another relevant STEM discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in an engineering and/or technical leadership role
- Demonstrated success leading, collaborating, and building teams on complex technical projects.
- Self-motivated, proactive, organized and detail oriented. Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work onsite full-time at the Baltimore (BWI) facility.
- US Citizenship, with the ability to receive DoD Secret clearance (or higher).
- Demonstrated success in project management, or technical leadership of small team.
- Experience with the management and use of laboratory equipment such as SEM/EDS, FTIR, DSC, LFA, metallurgical sample preparation, Instron, and ICP
- Working knowledge of polymers, adhesives, ceramics, thermal interface material, and/or aluminum properties and characteristics
- Familiarity with the process and execution of failure analysis, or Root Cause and Corrective Action
- Familiarity with electronic hardware used in radars and communication systems
- Experience with brazing or additive manufacturing of aluminum components
- Experience with supplier audits and management.
- Active DoD Secret or higher security clearance.
This position is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active DoD Secret Clearance or the transferal of an active DoD Secret Clearance.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
Link to Benefits: https://totalrewards.northropgrumman.com/
This positions standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.