Principal / Sr Principal Engineer Structural
Requisition ID: R10117617
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Goleta, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 25% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history. We are seeking a Senior Principal Structural Engineer to join our team in Goleta, CA
The Payload and Ground Systems organization within the Northrop Grumman Space Systems pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission.
Job Description (Overview)Analyzes, researches, and develops structural engineering specifications involving metals, non-metallic or composite structural materials for product design, or operation of product to include structures, mechanical, and thermal designs. Analyzes stiffness/strength, design allowables and performs FEA structural modeling. Specific structural engineering specialties may include dynamics and lo
ads (sine, random vibration, acoustic, and shock), composite structures, honeycomb structures, bonded joint analysis, stability and stress fatigue and thermal analysis. Tools utilized may include, ProEngineer/Creo, ANSYS, Femap, NX NASTRAN, VA-One, Mathcad, Matlab and a variety of other software applications.
- Create FEA models based on Creo assembly/part geometries. Make assumptions/simplifications to adequately represent load path, boundary conditions, and material properties.
- Perform static, sine, random vibe, and acoustic dynamic analyses and compute strength margins, develop notching, response and force limiting. Develop driving load cases for piece part analyses.
- Modelling and analysis of sandwich panels, composite materials, and boned joints. Assess strength based pertinent failure modes of sandwich composite structures.
- Review drawings, requirements for materials, structure systems & subsystems and perform required analyses to demonstrate compliance.
- Document static/dynamic test plans and procedure requirements
- Participate and present in internal and external (customer) design reviews
- Strive for the highest possible structural performance that is also cost effective and assures complete reliability
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus towards common project goals of the program team, matrix organization, and customers
- (Level 3) Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) discipline with 5 or more years applicable experience; or Master's degree in a STEM discipline with 3 or more years applicable experience
- (Level 4) Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) discipline with 9 or more years applicable experience; or Master's degree in a STEM discipline with 7 or more years applicable experience
- Experience with FEA analysis (ANSYS or Femap/NASTRAN) for structural analysis of designs
- Experience with system/sub-system FEA modeling/analysis, piece parts, static, modal, buckling, dynamic, thermal strength/distortion, and bolted joint analyses
- Knowledge of failure theories for metallic, composite, adhesive, and honeycomb core structures.
- Ability to verify simulation results by hand-calcs and/or comparison with heritage programs
- Must be self-motivated with excellent technical communication skills.
- US Citizenship Required
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with structures and mechanisms for moving mechanical assemblies such as solar arrays, booms, and other support structures and mechanisms for satellite subsystems.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills with hands-on project experience.
- Candidate has detailed mechanical design knowledge of structures, mechanisms, release and drive actuators, bearings, and material selection.
- Working knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes such as machining, finishing, and rapid prototyping.
- Non-linear and transient FEA analysis
- Multibody and flexible body dynamic analyses
- Experience with vibration testing of flight hardware
- Four or more years of direct Mechanical Engineering experience, preferably in the spacecraft or aerospace industry, with significant project ownership.
- Ability to work independently as well as in an integrated team and adapt to change and dynamic requirements.
- Strong communication and analytical skills and discipline with the ability to organize and prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Experience with thermal engineering concepts, thermal analysis techniques, and experience utilizing software such as Thermal Desktop.
- Practical understanding of GD&T (ASME Y14.5-2009)
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.