Manager 1, Structural Test Engineering - Mission Enabling Products
Requisition ID: R10117943
- Category: Engineering
- Location: San Diego, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Structural Test Engineering Manager 1
Northrop Grumman Mission Enabling Products Business Unit designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include satellites and associated space components and services; launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; and advanced aerospace structures.
The MEP Business Unit is seeking a Test Engineering Manager to join our team. This position is located in San Diego, CA and will be on 1st shift.
The Test Engineering Manager will have responsibility for the technical and operational execution of tests, as well as safety, quality, cost, and schedule. The role will lead the Test Engineers and work closely with Test Technician team, program leadership, manufacturing team, engineering teams, technical leaders, and functional subject matter experts within the Space Components Business unit. The Test Engineering Manager will be responsible for leading tests of large Space structures and apply broad understanding of engineering, manufacturing, cost and schedule execution, scope management, and risk management. The Test Engineering Manager will report to the Test functional manager.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in test engineering and strong experience leading test activities.
Leadership Roles and Responsibilities:
- Technical authority on large Space structures testing, including Static load testing, Dynamic testing (Sine, Sine Burst Random, Acoustic, Modal), thermal exposure testing (thermal cycling and thermal vac.)
- Daily management escalation of all end item test issues, support daily management review (DMR), report test team status and constraints, and monitor effectiveness and execution of daily management standards
- Ownership of Test team execution, including technical compliance and managing risk assessments, from program/project kick-off through delivery to acceptance by downstream customer
- Work with development teams (including Design, Analysis, Tooling, Chief Engineers, Quality, M&P, and Manufacturing) and Operations, as well as internal and external customers to create and verify test concepts, designs and plans that meet all requirements (safety, technical, schedule, cost). Ensure cohesive coordination between the Test Engineering team and these functions
- Lead, plan, and schedule of test campaigns with program management team. Communicate status of test campaign, highlight conflicts, and recommend solutions
- Place a strong focus on employee development through development plans, stretch assignments, effective goals, mentorship, coaching, trainings and cross-training, and skills assessment. Develop succession plans and be proactive in mentoring key talent to assume increased responsibilities
- Manage Test Engineering resources in collaboration with test technician leaders. Own requisition process, allocate resources, manage direct labor yield (DLY), provide technical oversight of end-item test and have effective contingency plans
- Standardize and improve processes. Ensure adherence to existing standard and best practices. Prioritize continuous improvement of discipline and all Test Engineering standards. Develop and ensure consistent execution of standard practices, methods, tools, and implementation. Implement lessons learned, best practices and continuous improvement plans
- Lead projects and plans to improve test capabilities and capacity. Support capital equipment investment and deployment, and strategic capability development and hiring. Approve proposal basis of estimates (BOE) and strategic support of proposal win strategy
- Ensure compliance with the Quality Management System to maintain certifications for AS9100 and NADCAP
- Requires BS degree in Engineering with 5 years working in an engineering environment or 3 years with MS degree in Engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years in the static and dynamic structural test field
- Demonstrated experience managing an engineering team including staffing, recruiting and retention, employee career development, engagement, and performance management
- Working knowledge of testing large Space structures, including Static load testing, Dynamic testing (Sine, Sine burst Random, Acoustic, Modal) and thermal exposure (thermal cycling and thermal vac.)
- Demonstrated experience with composite materials manufacturing processes and applications for extreme environments
- Broad understanding of engineering, manufacturing, cost and schedule execution, scope management, and risk management
- Ability to receive a security clearance
- Experience with hydraulics, servo-actuators, MTS AeroPro, hydraulic control systems and data acquisition
- Active in-scope DoD Top Secret clearance
- ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.