Principal Engineer Metrology
Requisition ID: R10121041
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Linthicum, Maryland, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a dedicated Metrology Engineer to join our team in Linthicum, MD.
The Metrology Engineer is part of the Calibration Products and Services Metrology Team for the entire Sector. We calibrate over 30,000 items per year in our Physical, Electrical and Dimensional Laboratories, on the Production Floor or wherever Test and Measurement Equipment is found. The primary focus of this role is the Physical Laboratory.
They will be responsible for:
- Providing Technical Leadership for the Laboratory (with the Lead Metrologist).
- Supporting calibration systems and activities involving the traceable and systematic test and measurement characteristics such as length, mass, time, temperature, electric current, luminous intensity, and derived units of physical or chemical measure
- Identifying the magnitude of error sources contributing to uncertainty of results to determine reliability of measurement process in quantitative terms.
- Developing calibration methods and techniques based on principles of measurement science, technical analysis of measurement problems and accuracy and precision requirements.
- Standards & Methods
- Developing calibration standards, systems and procedures
- Inspecting and evaluating new calibration standards for proper operation before releasing to calibration laboratory
- Recommending standards for use in calibration applications, including Test Equipment Justification
- Designing and documenting measurement reference material for laboratory use
- Perform uncertainty evaluation and analysis for measurement standards and associated measurement.
- Performing interval analysis
- Performing calibrations as required (We have a team of Calibration Technicians who perform routine calibrations)
- Leading or participating trouble shooting and root cause analysis of measurement issues or measurement system problems.
- Evaluating and recommending M&TE for use in measurement applications
- Evaluating suppliers’ products and working with them to resolve product issues and make improvements.
- Training technicians and engineers in calibration methodologies and measurement principles
- Support the workflow as needed (exceptions, extensions, etc.)
- Bachelor of Science in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline and 5+ years of relevant engineering experience OR Master of Science in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline and 3+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Clearance.
- Knowledge of/experience in Calibration
- Knowledgeable of Temperature, Humidity, Pressure/Vacuum, (talk to lab)
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.