Sr Principal/Principal Engineer Mechanical
Requisition ID: R10119032
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Goleta, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 4
An organization within Northrop Grumman’s Payload and Ground Systems (PGS) division, Spacecraft Components is a leading designer, producer, and supplier of spacecraft components that power and enable satellites of all classes. Products include spacecraft panels, bus structures, precision optical structures, deployable structural systems and mechanisms, solar arrays, and antenna reflectors. Our products are on virtually every U.S. satellite built in the last 20 years.
Learn more about Spacecraft Components at our website: https://www.northropgrumman.com/space/spacecraft-components/.
The position is available at the Northrop Grumman facility in Goleta CA, part of the Northrop Grumman, Space Systems (NGSP) - Space Components Business Unit, which specializes in deployable systems for spacecraft such as solar arrays, instrument booms, and various extendible support structures.
As a Mechanical Engineer in Goleta, you will be responsible for creating and implementing deployable structures and mechanical mechanisms at the cutting edge of space technology. You will have ownership of your work from the concept creation through the design and analysis phases and may also participate in the manufacturing, testing, and integration of the systems. PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION IS 100% ONSITE IN GOLETA, CA.
This position can be filled at the either the Principal or Senior Principal level.
- Create, prototype, design, and analyze structures and mechanisms for moving mechanical assemblies such as solar arrays, booms, and other support structures and mechanisms for satellite subsystems.
- Develop and refine components and subsystems utilizing design skills, hand calculations, and finite element analysis or other modeling tools as needed.
- Perform detailed 3D designs, generate CAD drawings and related documents, and support manufacturing and assembly of components.
- Document test plans and procedures requirements.
- Participate and present in internal and external (customer) design reviews.
- Strive for the highest possible structural performance that is also cost effective and assures complete reliability.
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus towards common project goals of the program team, matrix organization, and customers.
- Clearly report design status, progress and escalations at regular program meetings
Basic Qualifications for the Principal level:
- 5 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline; 3 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a Masters' degree; 0 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a PhD
- Experience in mechanical design and closed-form analysis with some understanding of finite element analysis software
- Strong communication skills, oral and written.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a fast-paced and gated-release engineering development environment.
- US Citizenship is a bona fide requirement
Basic Qualifications for the Senior Principal level:
- 9 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline; 7 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a Masters' degree; 4 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with a PhD
- Experience in mechanical design and closed-form analysis with understanding of finite element analysis software
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
- Self-motivated with the ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a fast-paced and gated-release engineering development environment.
- Demonstrable problem solving skills with hands-on project experience.
- Excellent technical communication skills and strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in an integrated team and adapt to change and dynamic requirements.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- US Citizenship is a bona fide requirement
- Master's degree in applicable area.
- 7 or more years of direct Mechanical Engineering experience, preferably in the spacecraft or aerospace industry, with significant project ownership.
- Proficiency with mechanical computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably design and analysis experience with PTC Creo Parametric 2/3.
- Practical understanding of GD&T (ASME Y14.5-2009)
- Detailed mechanical design knowledge of structures, mechanisms, release and drive actuators, and material selection.
- Spacecraft/aerospace materials experience in metals, adhesives, thermoplastics, etc.
- Working knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes such as machining, finishing, and rapid prototyping.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.