Staff Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID: R10129067
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Melbourne, Florida, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: SAP
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems Sector has an opening for a Staff Engineer specializing in Dimensional Engineering to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within our Vehicle Engineering organization. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Digital Transformation team working in a collaborative environment while promoting a positive and proactive teamwork environment. This position is located in Melbourne, Florida.
The Dimensional Engineer shall serve the sector as the accountable custodian for all aspects of the dimensional configuration of our vehicle platforms. Through utilization of 1D / 2D stack up analysis and 3D model-based variation analysis tools, they will be responsible for development and implementation of various dimensional control strategies to reduce, manage, and absorb vehicle assembly variation throughout the entire build process. As a subject-matter expert in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), the Dimensional Engineer shall support all design activities as needed to ensure our designers are executing on these strategies through proper communication of dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5 and related industry standards.
- The Dimensional Engineer shall provide guidance to Production Operations and Design IPTs, challenging traditional methods when appropriate for the purpose of improving repeatability, optimizing for build variation, and reducing build costs.
- The Dimensional Engineer shall be responsible for supporting advanced Building Block (manufacturing test article) activities to analyze and validate metrology data, participate in problem resolution, and confirm that proposed dimensional control strategies are meeting program objectives.
- The Dimensional Engineer will help their team to develop/document best practices, mentor individuals in the analysis process and tool suite, and interface with program leadership across multiple programs to further the development of the Dimensional Engineering Team (DET) organization.
- Upon request, the Dimensional Engineer shall provide relevant course instruction across a multitude of technical disciplines. They may be tasked with producing various forms of Dimensional Engineering best-practice documentation to flow out to the Design and Manufacturing communities - across a particular program, an entire sector, or the enterprise at large - to advance the utilization and development of the Dimensional Engineering organization.
We offer flexible work arrangements, 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off, phenomenal learning opportunities, exposure to a wide variety of projects and customers, and a very friendly team environment. We are looking for self-motivated, proactive, and goal-oriented people to help us grow our services and become even better at what we do.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) and 14 years of related experience to include a background in OR Master’s degree in a STEM discipline and 12 years of related experience to include a background in.
- Experience with GD&T and familiarity with detail/assembly detuning best practices.
- Experience in performing tolerance stack-up analysis on production scale assemblies.
- Knowledge of statistical qualification of machinery, equipment, and gages.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
- Active DoD Secret (or higher) clearance (with a background investigation within the past 6 years or enrolled into Continuous Evaluation).
- Current Special Program Access.
- Experience working in an aerospace design environment. Emphasis placed in the following disciplines: Structural Design/Analysis, Subsystems Design/Analysis, Electrical/Mechanical Routing, or Mechanism Design/Analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of GD&T and application of ASME Y14.5-2009.
- ASME Y14.5 GDTP 2009 Senior-Certification.
- Experience working with Teamcenter and NX (or equivalent PDM/PLM and CAD/CAE applications).
- Proficiency in Siemens Vis-VSA and/or 3DCS Variation Analysis software (including FEA)
- Experience reviewing and interpreting engineering model-based definition.
- Ability to document and maintain process methods.
- Ability to interface/communicate with multiple levels of leadership, clients, and vendors.
- Lean, Six Sigma, 5S knowledge
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.