Sr Principal Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID: R10126130
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Rolling Meadows, Illinois, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Corporation is offering a challenging and rewarding career as a Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer within the Mission Systems Sector located at the Rolling Meadows - Illinois facility.
This position will support the development, build, and test validation of ruggedized electronic equipment for military applications. The candidate will work within the Hardware Engineering organization. It is a high performing organization that values its employees and has a strong sense of purpose tied to the vision of Northrop Grumman: To be the most trusted provider of systems and technologies that ensure the security and the freedom of our nation and its allies. The candidate will be able to grow personally and professionally in an ethical and inclusive environment, while being an important part of a great team.
The team is seeking a Senior Principal Mechanical engineer to apply and expand their experience in hardware design, analysis, documentation, and integration of electro-mechanical systems. Strong communication skills are required for success in all phases of the role. The engineer will serve on and typically lead engineering teams, interfacing heavily with other mechanical engineers and analysts, as well as engineers from related disciplines, program management, and customers/stakeholders. The engineer is expected to manage schedule and budget for assigned projects, with the ability to identify and communicate any issues that may impact these goals. The engineer will be responsible for solving challenging technical problems with innovative solutions that meet performance, cost, and schedule requirements. This expertise will be applied at all phases of the product life cycle, including requirements analysis, concept definition, detailed design, production, and environmental test. The engineer will be expected to present the team’s design solutions and analysis during internal and external design reviews, document the design through drawing generation and release, provide factory and supplier support, and support change incorporations.
The Senior Principal Mechanical engineer will be expected to contribute to the overall knowledge base and skill level of the organization via coaching, knowledge transfer, and process improvement activities.
Basic Qualifications for Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 9 years of experience in electronics packaging or a Master’s degree with 7 years of experience, or 4 years of experience with PhD.
- Extensive experience with hardware development and electro-mechanical packaging, including thermal analysis, structural analysis, microelectronics design, opto-mechanical design, and environmental testing
- Proficiency with 3D CAD Tools (Siemens NX is preferred) and product data management tools
- Demonstrated leadership of small to moderately sized teams during the product development process including the review of technical work products
- Demonstrated application of innovative solutions to complex problems that arise within the design, development, and production phases
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including experience presenting at design reviews and customer/stakeholder briefings
- Displayed ability to exercise latitude in determining most appropriate technical approach of assignments
- U. S. citizen with the ability to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Expertise with ANSYS and/or other tools used for design analysis
- Familiarity with opto-mechanical engineering
- Working knowledge of military and commercial process specifications
- Proficiency in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Demonstrated success leading others within an integrated product team (IPT), supporting the development of junior engineers and cross functional collaboration for overall project success
- Experience with project management metrics, including earned value management, to monitor and manage engineering budget and schedule requirements
- Experience in design, manufacturing, and integration of electronic assemblies including appropriate material selections and use of off the shelf components
- Experience contributing to technical and cost proposal development
- Leadership in process improvement or knowledge transfer (i.e. publication) activities.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.