Principal Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID: R10126883
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Rolling Meadows, Illinois, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Corporation is offering a challenging and rewarding career as a Principal Mechanical Engineer within the Mission Systems Sector located at the Rolling Meadows - Illinois facility.
This position will support the development, build, and test validation of ruggedized electronic equipment for military applications. The candidate will work within the Mechanical & Optical Technology organization. It is a high performing organization that values its employees and has a strong sense of purpose tied to the vision of Northrop Grumman: To be the most trusted provider of systems and technologies that ensure the security and the freedom of our nation and its allies. The candidate will be able to grow personally and professionally in an ethical and inclusive environment, while being an important part of a great team.
The engineer will be responsible for solving challenging technical problems with innovative solutions that meet performance, cost, and schedule requirements. These skills may be applied at any phase of the product life cycle, including requirements analysis, concept design, detailed design, manufacture, and environmental test.
The engineer will serve on engineering teams, and interface with related disciplines and customers/stakeholders. Strong communication skills are required for success in all phases of the role. The engineer will also contribute to the development of junior engineers and the overall knowledge base and skill level of the organization via coaching, knowledge transfer, and process improvement activities.
The engineer may be responsible for technical contribution and/or program/team leadership. Technical contribution will require demonstration of at least one of the following skills: advanced thermal analysis, advanced structural analysis, microelectronics design, aircraft modification (Group A) design, or opto-mechanical design. In a project/team leadership role, the engineer will be responsible for team leadership, stakeholder and cross-functional interface, technical direction, requirements definition and management, cost and schedule performance, and process adherence.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
with 5 years of experience or a Master's degree in science with 3 years of experience.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience with Electronics Packaging.
- Must have demonstrated expertise in CAD design and drawings.
- Must have demonstrated expertise in one or more tools such as NX, CREO, Solidworks, etc., ANSYS, ANSYS LS-Dyna, ANSYS Rigid Dynamics, CFDesign, CFX, Icepak and Mathcad or similar tools.
- Proficiency with structural analysis, thermal analysis or environmental testing
- Must have demonstrated application of innovative solutions to complex problems
- Must have Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Must have the ability to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance including U.S. citizenship.
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Current Active Security clearance- Secret or higher
- Proficiency in at least one of the following subjects: advanced thermal analysis, advanced structural analysis, microelectronics design, aircraft modification (group A) design, or opto-mechanical design
- Familiarity with opto-mechanical engineering
- Experience leading engineering teams to deliver successful outcomes and working within an Integrated Product Team (IPT)
- Proficiency managing technical, cost, and schedule performance of projects.
- Experience supporting engineering proposals and cost estimates
- Experience presenting at design reviews and customer/stakeholder briefings.
- Participation in process improvement or knowledge transfer activities
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.