Manager Mechanical Engineering 2
Requisition ID: R10126200
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
At the heart of Defining Possible is our commitment to missions. In rapidly changing global security environments, Northrop Grumman brings informed insights and software-secure technology to enable strategic planning. We’re looking for innovators who can help us keep building on our wide portfolio of secure, affordable, integrated, and multi-domain systems and technologies that fuel those missions. By joining in our shared mission, we’ll support yours of expanding your personal network and developing skills, whether you are new to the field or an industry thought-leader. At Northrop Grumman, you’ll have the resources, support, and team to do some of the best work of your career.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is a trusted provider of mission-enabling solutions for global security. Our Engineering and Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking an Engineering Manager M02, supporting the Marine Systems Business Unit, reporting to an Engineering Execution Senior Manager. The positions will be located in Philadelphia, PA. This team is responsible for engineering and support to production for the ultimate end use in submarines and the surface Navy. As an Engineering Manager, this position will be responsible for leading a distributed geographical, highly dynamic, multi-discipline engineering team.
In this role, each Engineering Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Provide project and technical oversight of design activities performed by the group
- Prepare cost estimates, provide proposal inputs, and review proposal content for both internal and external customers
- Increasing engineering competencies through employee development and strategic hiring
- Balancing employee needs with business goals
- Provide ownership of and direction to the processes used in the group
- Basic understanding of the Systems, Design, Manufacturing, Test Integration and Project Management (EVM).
- Support department initiatives, forecasting and recruiting, technology roadmap creation, succession planning and champion continuous process improvements.
- Collaborate regularly with Program Office, Operations, Business Management, and other entities within the Business Unit to ensure business and production goals are met
Candidates must have exceptional leadership and teambuilding skills, strategic thinking, strong technical acumen, and the ability to lead multiple engineering disciplines across programs. The candidate will work with cross-discipline team members and therefore must have excellent communication skills, presentation experience and the ability to work seamlessly with a diverse community of engineers and managers to achieve the goals of the organization. The candidate must have the ability to build consensus and resolve conflict. The candidate must collaborate with business area leadership, and other functional partners to resolve complex issues in a timely manner to help meet program commitments.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field with 9 years of engineering experience; OR a Master Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field with 7 years of engineering experience; OR a PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field with 4 years of engineering experience
- U.S Citizenship with ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
- Experience and proven track record of technical leadership leading cross functional teams.
- Experience and proven track record of leadership and issue resolution during production.
- Strong leadership qualities, including excellent communication and collaboration, team engagement, and organizational skills.
- Strong engineering background with demonstrated experience through design and production.
- Solid understanding of engineering process with execution experience.
- Advanced degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or related technical fields.
- Experience as a Technical Lead, Project Manager, or other demonstrated leadership role related to program execution
- Experience and proven track record of functional/people management and success as a leader of large functional organizations
- Experience managing large control accounts with accountability for scope, schedule, budget, and technical performance
- Understanding of ship building and propulsion principals of operation and design
- Experience working within the Defense Industry. Experience working with Naval products is a plus.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.