Manager Software Quality 2
Requisition ID: R10126678
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Linthicum, Maryland, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems Sector is seeking an Engineering Manager (M2) in our Calibration Laboratory in Linthicum, Maryland. Our customers require us to make sure that when we measure things, it is done properly, and the Calibration Laboratory handles the Equipment side of that equation. We are responsible for the calibration of some 35,000 instruments and devices—both in house and through Vendors to make sure that the Programs are meeting this important requirement. This position provides relocation assistance. Position may include up to 10% of travel.
This manager, who will report directly to the Manager of the Laboratory, will be responsible for Team of Metrologists and our Software Team.
Metrologists: These skilled professionals are Subject Matter Experts on the science of measurement and calibration. They develop measurement procedures including understanding the uncertainties in those measurements, keep abreast of developments in their respective fields and generally support the user community of Test & Measurement Equipment.
Software Engineering: We continue to maintain an internally developed application for use by our own technicians as well as sold to customers (SureCal) that is used in the calibration of most of the Test & Measurement Equipment we support. This includes support for both internal and external customers as well as integrating the Procedures developed by the metrologists into SureCal. The other main product supported by this group is an internally developed Database used to track all equipment through its’ calibration cycle—from when calibration is required, to its transport to the laboratory (or outside vendor) until it is returned to its owner. Finally, as we continue our journey towards a more customer-centric service, the manager will support our efforts to use SharePoint & similar technology to make us more customer friendly (along with other diverse members of our team)
The role clearly has both Technical and People components. A successful candidate must be able to be effective in both realms—combining leadership and management with curiosity and the ability and desire to lead strong technical teams. It also requires a proven track record of solving complex problems through systematic and objective evaluation of information combined with effective communication, championing, and implementation of change and dealing with a diverse set stakeholders, internal and external customers and suppliers. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills combined with a “can do” attitude is essential.
- Manage the workflows and backlogs for both groups—balancing tactical needs with long term strategic goals.
- Key interface for the two groups with the Calibration Production Team
- Developing metrics and targets regarding the quality and efficiency of the work of the two teams and managing to those targets
- Ensure that relevant requirements (PrOPS, Calibration Directives and others) are both kept up to date and followed.
- Participate/lead both improvement and root cause/corrective actions in the defined areas; support similar activities in other parts of the organization as required.
- Determine a CMMI strategy for Software, lead its implementation.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM field from an accredited university.
- Nine (9) + years of experience with a minimum of five years in a leadership role
- Ability to obtain U.S. security clearance.
- Demonstrated experience in technical problem solving, including root cause analysis, solution development, corrective/preventative action and verification/validation.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills.
- Exposure to Software, its development and maintenance
- Master’s degree in a STEM field
- Direct experience in Software Quality, Software Engineering, Engineering Management Metrology.
- Five (5) + years of experience managing teams.
- Experience with technical and project management
- Proven ability to be resourceful, well-organized, able to multi-task and coordinate assignments.
- Leader in a team environment with exceptional interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.