Consulting Navigation Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: R10112211
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Woodland Hills, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is a trusted provider of mission-enabling solutions for global security. Our Engineering and Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
The team at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is looking for you to join our team as a Consulting Navigation Systems Engineer based out of Woodland Hills, CA.
What You’ll get to Do:
- Work with a team of navigation and timing experts in a team-based collaborative environment dedicated to advancing the state of the art in navigation.
- Work in close collaboration with Government Customers to develop advanced navigation and timing technologies, and support transition of those technologies to production.
- Provide technical leadership for Internal Northrop Grumman R&D projects.
- Apply your research and development skills to build real-world products and capabilities well beyond purely academic or theoretical.
- Work with leading-edge inertial navigation instruments including the highest performance accelerometers and gyroscopes to take your fusion concepts to the next level
- Work with leading-edge software-radio systems for tracking GPS, GNSS, and other cooperative signals along with advanced signal processing techniques to extract better performance out of military GPS than conventional receivers.
- Research and development of navigation and timing fusion algorithms such as Kalman filters, particle filters, and similar estimations algorithms
- Work on next generation applications like autonomous navigation, distributed sensing, proliferate low earth orbit (P-LEO) space systems, model-based system engineering, cloud-based software as a service, swarming vehicles, artificial intelligence/machine learning, and signal integrity.
- Design and develop navigation warfare techniques, algorithms, and software to enhance mission success in contested environments.
- Present your ideas to internal and external groups; lead proposal activities; and represent Northrop Grumman at technical conferences and working groups.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or related discipline with 20 years of technical experience; Master's Degree with 18 years of technical experience; PhD with 15 years of technical experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in the principles of navigation, including inertial navigation, aided navigation, and Kalman filtering.
- Experience with estimation and filtering techniques in GPS applications.
- Expertise in GPS and GPS-denied system principles and concepts.
- Experience as Principal Investigator on government CRAD and/or Internal Research and Development programs.
- Comfortable with loosely-defined problems, have a demonstrated ability to think creatively, and draw upon a variety of sources for ideas and solutions.
- Demonstrated technical leadership of programs and/or proposals in a collaborative environment to propose, plan, estimate, organize, and integrate Systems Engineering activities across multiple engineering disciplines.
- Experience with employment of CONOPS for the development of system architectures and requirements that are optimized to meet the customer’s operational needs at lowest cost.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including interfacing with Customers.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing concept papers, briefings, trade studies, white papers, proposals, or similar documents for internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, capable of working independently as well as within a team structure.
- US Citizenship is required in order to obtain and maintain security clearance
- Experience in the following areas of specialization is highly desired:
o Modeling, Simulation, Analysis and Requirements Definition of GPS Systems
o Celestial and Stellar Navigation
o Vision-aided Navigation
- Demonstrated track record of innovation and accomplishment in the field of navigation and timing with deep knowledge of relevant sensors and systems.
- Self-motivated and independently able to develop innovative approaches to diverse technical challenges and see them through to realization.
- Ability to effectively motivate people to work as an integrated team across sites, companies and cultures.
- Ability to use Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) tools and concepts to define functions and develop functional and performance requirements.
- Experience working in an Agile team environment.
- Experience working in a Research and Development environment.
- Demonstrated mentorship of others.
- Active DoD security clearance with current background investigation.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.