Software Engineering Manager 2, Secret Clearance Required
Requisition ID: R10111221
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Palmdale, California, United States of America | San Diego, California, United States of America+ 1 more
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems in California is currently seeking a Manager, Software Engineering 2 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within our Software organization. This role can be located in either San Diego or Palmdale, California. This candidate will be part of a product team working closely with Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leadership and software architects. This is a vital position to a classified program in support of software design and development. Candidate will be responsible for leading a product team through software architecture, requirements, design and development phases. Candidate will provide leadership to the software team (8-12 engineers) by flowing down system level architecture/requirements and setting the technical direction for the team to execute. Candidate will be responsible for the effective execution of an AGILE-focused software lifecycle process at the product level, to include managing a product Configuration Control Board (CCB), and tracking and reporting all relevant metrics to the IPT. Candidate will be responsible for both cross-product coordination within the various IPTs coordination within the program, allocating developer resources where necessary.
The program is a multi-site, multi-sector effort. The Candidate shall be willing to travel to other sites to support technical meetings, integration efforts, and other related tasking. The Candidate shall also be willing to adjust work schedule as required to meet needs of east coast coordination.
The candidate will also be responsible for functional duties including conducting performance assessments, staffing, employee development, communication meetings, disciplinary actions, compensation adjustments, training & educational oversight/ approval and other routine personnel issues. This position will be responsible for establishing common processes and practices in cooperation with colleague managers across the sector.
- Responsible for managing staffing and reporting status and metrics to IPT and Functional leadership
- Provide functional management to direct reports, including career guidance, staffing, interviewing/onboarding, disciplinary actions, and direct engagement
- Manage all product activities for a team of developers, employing an AGILE-focused process
- Manage workflow requests from other product leads within the Software IPT, as well as product leads from other IPTs
- Coordinate the activities of the product-level CCB and ensure its efficient functioning
- Coordinate all product-level software verification and release activities within the larger program schedules
- Primary product representative for product integration in on-site labs and at off-site integration facilities
- Primary product representative at all cross-product and cross-IPT meetings
- Primary product representative at technical reviews to senior management and Customer stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 9 years of software development experience or Masters in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline and 7 years of software development experience
- Prior software leadership experience
- Position requires at minimum an active DoD Secret clearance to start, with the ability to obtain and maintain a full secret level security clearance and Special Access Program (SAP)
- Experience developing in C/C++ for real-time, flight critical systems, multi-channel systems
- Experience with embedded operating systems, to include VxWorks
- Experience with MIL-STD-1553B, IEEE-1394b, RS-232/422/485 data bus integration
- Experience designing, developing, integrating, verifying and qualifying safety-critical real-time embedded computing systems including experience with software and systems engineering.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to lead and manage technical teams responsible for all aspects of safety-critical system development including job analysis, new product design, system architecture, software development, system integration and working with customers and other stakeholders to perform requirement definition
- Experience developing BOEs and supporting IMS and IFC planning
- Experience managing a product team and delivering periodic releases in a process-driven environment for a government customer
- Previous Vehicle Management Computer (VMC) lead experience on a medium-to-large program
- Previous experience with anti-tamper and other cyber resiliency techniques used to create, protect and execute trusted software
- Previous experience with the VxWorks Hypervisor environment
- DO-178B and Airworthiness process knowledge
- AGILE training for Scrum Master and Product Owner
- Git source control knowledge and Atlassian Suite (Jira, BitBucket, etc) knowledge
- Real-Time Component Framework (RTCF) knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a large team environment in both leadership and individual contributor roles.
- Demonstrated ability to build diverse/inclusive teams with engaged team members
- Demonstrated mentoring and coaching skills, and excellent 2-way communication skills (upward and downward)
- Previous experience leading a team of 12 employees with a record of on-time performance
- Previous experience in developing proposal inputs (task descriptions and basis of estimate)
- Time management and organizational skills to prioritize across concurrent program and functional responsibilities
- Prior experience with task/resource planning
As a leader, you always act with integrity, and the highest ethical standards characterize everything you do. You enable your team to achieve predictable and balanced results, while satisfying the needs of internal and external partners. You treat all people with respect, and you model personal growth and continuous development. You know how to build an inclusive environment that attracts, retains, and inspires a diverse and engaged team. You develop trusted and valued customer relationships and communicate effectively, so that people throughout the organization feel engaged and connected to their work. You deliver excellence, strive for continuous improvement, and respond vigorously to change.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.