Principal Software Engineer
Requisition ID: R10128622
- Category: Engineering
- Location: San Diego, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has an opening for an Embedded & Real Time Software Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within our Software organization. This role can be located in San Diego, CA or Grand Forks, ND.
In this role you will design, develop, integrate and test software for our end-user customers and businesses. Specifically, you will be responsible for the design, architecture, development, and administration of embedded and real time systems. You will work with multi-disciplinary teams, such as with Systems Engineering, Cloud & Application, Test Automation, DevSecOps and Systems Test, in an Agile software development environment. You will analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls.
Work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative team settings across all levels
- Participate in the full software development life cycle including requirements, design, implementation, qualification, and delivery of software products to our customers
- Operate in an embedded technology development environment working with real time operating systems for use in flight and mission critical systems
- Work in Agile Scrum teams to develop software products for multiple software baselines
Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) with 5 years of related engineering experience; OR a Master’s degree in STEM with 3 years of related engineering experience, or a PhD in STEM with no experience
- 2-3 years of experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- 3-5 years of experience with at least two of the following programming or scripting languages: C, C++, and Python
- 2-3 years of experience with developing software used for one of the following real-time applications: flight critical software, Safety critical software, medical software, or mission critical software
- 2-3 years of experience with two of the following tools: Jira, Crucible, Bitbucket, Subversion, Bamboo, Jenkins, Sonarqube, Fortify, or Coverity
- 2-3 years of experience with one of the following real time operating systems: Wind River VxWorks, Green Hills Integrity, or Realtime Linux
- 2 years of experience with Agile software development, embedded system programming, software integration and testing
- 3-5 years of experience with at least two of the data interfaces: 1553, 1394, 429, Serial, CAN, Discrete & Analog I/O, Ethernet/IP, or Fibre Channel
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense (DoD) Secret clearance
- Basic understanding of PowerPC or ARM assembly
- Able to read assembly and use CPU documentation to understand behaviors
- Can identify moderate execution defects by only reading code
- Understanding of how their CSC will fit into a larger software system / architecture
- Able to document, capture, and present software architectural components in modeling or diagramming tool
- Familiarity with OS partitions and isolation architectures
- High level understanding of architectural requirements for airworthiness certifications
- Strong understanding of layered software architectures (e.g. Application, System, Device)
- Strong understanding of the following concepts:
- Software hardware interfaces and where they exist in the architecture
- Event driven (Interrupts), polling and synchronous software architectures
- Ability to collaborate with systems engineers, hardware designers and integration/test engineers to develop and maintain complex software systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of virtualization (AWS, VmWare, Azure), emulation (QEMU)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management
- Experience with leading a small size (1-5) technical team with technical decision making
- Active Secret DoD Clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.