Systems Engineering Manager
Requisition ID: R10119752
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Manhattan Beach, California, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: Days (United States of America)
- Travel Required: No
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Defense System is seeking a Manager Systems Engineer 1 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Manhattan Beach, California.
The Functional manager will lead a team of approximately 10-15 engineers working within the Mission Applications department in the Mission Planning and Decision Support (MPDS) operating unit (OU), part of Northrop Grumman Defense Systems’ Combat Systems & Mission Readiness (CSMR) division. The successful candidate will lead direct report employees based on organizational goals, program activity, and company policies. Specific responsibilities include coordinating with programs for staffing, recruiting, training, preparing and delivering performance reviews to employees, evaluating/recommending employees for promotions, evaluating salaries and coordinating with Human Resources on potential adjustments, assisting employees in preparing performance goals, providing career guidance to employees and counseling employees on their performance as necessary. Program Execution and Engineering Excellence are our driving forces.
Direct Program responsibilities will be as a Systems Engineer (85%), which includes the following:
- Support development of system architecture and design
- Support development of User Stories and Acceptance Criteria for the mission planning products
- Support development of Interface Design between mission planning products and external systems
- Support iterative development of UI/UX concepts and designs with customer feedback
- Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Support functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
Manager responsibilities (15%) include:
- Cultivate an inclusive and engaging workplace. Ensure employees’ work life balance is appropriate.
- Workforce: maintain staff adequate to execute to program plans, as well as for strategic growth. Plan assignments and fill program needs to ensure success, but which also offer growth to the individuals performing the work.
- Performance management: on an ongoing basis engage with staff to identify growth opportunities, deficiencies, appropriate training, etc. Execute to the Enterprise review cycle. Manage compensation and career progression
- Create and maintain forward-looking processes which align to strategic goals.
- BS or higher degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM), MIS, or related field
- 5+ years of experience, and significant direct experience in the field of Systems Engineering including Agile or SAFe methodologies
- Experience in Systems Engineering, e.g., CONOPS development, requirements analysis, decomposition and allocation, interface definition, and trade studies.
- Current direct program duties within the MPDS OU or satisfies a direct program need
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Candidate must have ability to facilitate/mediate in conflict resolution matters
- Candidate must have familiarity with the other Engineering disciplines
- Have an active Secret Clearance, adjudicated within the last 5 years
- Ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret Clearance and Special Program Access
- Current DoD Top Secret Clearance
- Current SCI/SAP access
- Previous experience as a functional manager or technical team leader
- Experience in an Agile/SAFe leadership role (Scrum Master, Product Owner, Release Train Engineer, e.g.)
- Experience with IA/Cybersecurity and industry platform hardening practices, such as DISA STIG Implementation
- Current DoD 8570 IAT Level II certification (such as, Security+)
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure technology such as Azure.
- Experience with containerization, including Docker and Kubernetes
- Exposure to Infrastructure as Code (IaC) development
- Experience with UI/UX development
- Experience with MBSE Tools
- Familiarity with EVMS Reporting and CAM responsibilities
- Experience in scripting/programming languages such as Python, PowerShell, Visual Basic, .Net, Java, C, and C#
- Knowledge of military mission planning systems
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.