Principal / Senior Principal Radar Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: R10111218
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems has an opening for a Principal / Senior Principal Radar Systems Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Linthicum/Baltimore, MD campus. Talented candidates with backgrounds in Systems, Electrical, Computer, or Mechanical Engineering as well as Physics, Mathematics, and other related STEM fields are highly encouraged to apply! Our team is composed of various disciplinary backgrounds driving innovation. This position requires up to 100% on-site work and an ability to pass an enhanced security review.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have the privilege of developing revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today and will continue to do so for generations to come. Our pioneering spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We seek out candidates with bold new ideas, courage, and an inventive spirit to join forces to invent the future and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work, and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, but they’re also making history. You can be part of our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
How You Will Make a Difference at Northrop Grumman:
As the lead developer of RF sensors for some of the most advanced systems in the U.S. arsenal, Northrop Grumman is a world leader in advanced sensor systems and design. These include radars for air dominance platforms (such as the F-22, F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, F-16), bomber and strike programs (such as B-1B), airborne / maritime / ground-based surveillance missions (E-3 AWACS, E-7 MESA, TPS-80 G/ATOR and UAV systems such as Global Hawk), as well as restricted programs and missions. We offer the opportunity to join a team to solve problems in the field and drive new solutions into next generation radar systems and air superiority platforms.
Northrop Grumman’s Airborne Multifunction Systems (AMS) Systems Engineering, Integration and Test (SEIT) organization has a need for a Radar Systems Engineer supporting the architecture, design, implementation, integration, and verification of some of our most advanced multi-function RF sensors and remote sensing applications. Key modes of operation include synthetic aperture radar for ground imaging applications, electronic protection to defeat the most advanced adversaries’ electronic attack, long-range search, and track waveforms to provide critical situational awareness to our customers and missile data link. Daily activities may consist of requirements development, trade studies, algorithm design, MATLAB simulations, waveform design, signal processing, performance analysis, and flight testing.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on a highly visible and valued mode of operation on some of the most prized platforms in the U.S. arsenal alongside a team of highly qualified sensor systems engineers. Northrop Grumman prioritizes mentoring and growth for our engineering team. This position offers exciting near-term challenges as well as long-term development through Northrop Grumman’s technical career paths.
This position requires up to 100% on-site work in the Linthicum/Baltimore, Maryland campus and the ability to pass an enhanced security review.
Roles and Responsibilities
Radar Systems Engineers develop parametric representations, visualizations, and data-driven analyses to support sensor requirements definition and use-case validation, including waveform and signal processing implementation. Engineers develop models and simulations in MATLAB, Python or C++ to perform radar computations, validate design choices, and troubleshoot integration findings. Radar Systems Engineers work closely with Software Engineers and Systems Integration and Test Engineers to complete software/system/hardware integration and performance verification progressing in digital simulation environments, radar labs, and our on-site fleet of specially modified test aircraft. Throughout this process, Radar Systems Engineers engage with our customers to balance functional and performance requirements with other sensor functionality to enable true multi-function operation.
At the Principal / Senior Principal Engineer level, a systems engineer will work with general oversight from more experienced engineers and mentors to independently apply physics and other STEM concepts to solve technical challenges and complex problems related to Radar and RF systems. Principal engineers frequently interface across disciplines and organizational boundaries, as well as with customers through presentations and working group meetings.
Basic Qualifications for Level 3:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or Mechanical Engineering with 5 years of related experience; 3 years related experience with a Master's Degree.
- US Citizenship, an active DoD Secret Security clearance and SAP access needed prior to starting
- Demonstrated experience quickly learning new concepts and approaches
- Experience with MATLAB or equivalent programming/analysis languages
Basic Qualifications for Level 4:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Microelectronics, Material Science, Chemistry, Physics or closely related technical major with 9 years of relevant experience; 7 years with an MS; 4 years with PhD
- US Citizenship, an active DoD Secret Security clearance and SAP access needed prior to starting
- Matlab experience
- Understanding the AIMS certification process and documentation
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering
- Experience working through the Systems Engineering process
- DoD Top Secret Clearance
- Previously approved for special access programs
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with MATLAB, Python, C++, or equivalent programming/analysis languages
- Knowledge of system engineering design methods, including requirements analysis and flow-down, specification derivation and interface control documentation
- Experience with performance analysis by simulation, including verification and validation techniques
- Experience with radar waveform, digital beamforming, adaptive processing, or algorithm development
- Ability to effectively communicate and present complex technical concepts to project, program, and company management, other technical managers, and customers
- Excellent technical writing and team-building skills
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
This positions standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
This position is contingent upon clearance
This position is contingent upon the ability to obtain/maintain DoD Secret Clearance and Special Program Access (SAP) prior to starting.
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.