Sentinel DevStar Execution Integrated Functional Capability Systems Engineering Manager 2 (10177)
Requisition ID: R10118750
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Roy, Utah, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
- Positions Available: 1
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you’ll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Systems Engineering Manager 2 in support of the Sentinel program. Northrop Grumman supports the Air Force’s sustainment, development, production and deployment of hardware and system modifications for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Ground and Airborne Launch Control Systems, Launch Facilities, and associated infrastructure. Position location: Roy, Utah. This role may offer a competitive relocation assistance package.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate strong leadership and relationship-building skills, a track record as an effective communicator, and a problem solver who can innovate while balancing new and traditional ways of doing business.
In this leadership position, with daily executive interactions, the selected candidate will display consistently impeccable judgment and embody Northrop Grumman leadership behaviors. The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative/team settings across all levels, including executive leadership. The leader will be comfortable taking a strategic vision and turning it into reality. Predictable performance and thinking ahead to ensure smooth and innovative ways of operating is a must.
What You’ll Get To Do
The selected candidate will join the DevStar Team within the System Engineering Directorate and lead IFC Technical Execution efforts. The DevStar team is responsible for coordinating the development and execution of the IFCs support major milestone events.
This role requires close coordination and collaboration with the other Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) responsible for Hardware/Software design, development, and execution to identify the system functions for incremental delivery of a significant development program and define the specific configuration of hardware and software elements required for these functions along with the program timing.
You will support the evolution of multiple products beginning with an overarching Strategic IFC Plan, supporting Detailed IFC Plans and schedules that define the development effort. You will be involved in evolving and executing the IFC plan, which addresses all design components of a program (i.e., architecture, hardware, and software) as well as functional activities (i.e., test, quality checks, logistics support) that support implementation into the ground and flight test phases of a program.
You will help guide the development effort of an IFC until it culminates in certification that the integrated set of products meets its functional and performance requirements and is ready to be released for its intended use as identified in the IFC system certificate package/certificate (e.g., ground test, flight test, developmental and/or operational test, and evaluation, etc.).
In this role, you will grow your technical breadth in Systems Engineering across a broad portfolio of mission threads and be at the forefront of evolving traditional Systems Engineering rigor into lean agile, model-based frameworks. The candidate will have 80% technical responsibilities: leading teams that develop, modify, and maintain systems using engineering best practices & standards. This role may include Control Account Management and Risk Management duties.
Specific duties to include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead teams and drive horizontal integration of demonstrable, real cyber-physical products.
- Enable mission focused technical changes and updates as iteration occurs (be able to adjust technical and programmatically as discovery occurs and communicate out updated plan).
- Establish key initiatives in support of the organization’s strategic and tactical plans.
- Oversee and execute Status Reviews in coordination with DevStar and SET leadership.
- Support the directorate in executive internal and external customer meetings.
- Manage the operational affairs, lead communications across the directorate and external stakeholders, facilitate the dissemination of information, and expedite the implementation of initiatives.
- Be responsible for assessing staffing needs, current as well as projected and working with the respective team leads to address those needs.
- Be responsible for supporting recruitment activities including the creation of requisitions, conducting interviews, and approving offers.
- Work with program leaders in establishing personal, program, and functional goals as well as performing performance evaluations and merit adjustments for subordinates.
- Provide their subordinates with career development recommendations, mentoring, discipline, as necessary.
- Set and promote high standards for engineering development.
- Foster a working environment which reinforces and drives accountability to fundamental Northrop Grumman Values focused on integrity, quality, shared success, and innovation.
- Partner with engineering and program management peers to assure a balanced and efficient assignment of resources to support and achieve key mission priorities.
- Coach, support, train, and motivate team members to ensure a high level of performance.
- Initiate and lead continuous improvement activities which establish high quality and efficient DevOps/Development processes.
- Collaborate with peers and direct management in resource planning and hiring activities.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Space Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
This position’s standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
You’ll Bring These Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) with a minimum 6 years of related experience or 4 years with a Master’s Degree in STEM.
- U.S. Citizenship with ability to obtain and maintain Special Program Access
- Active DoD Secret clearance with a background investigation close date within the past 5 .5 years or in continues evaluation.
- At least 1 year experience leading a project and/or driving performance against schedule
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
- Active DOD Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Special Program Access.
- Presentation skills to communicate effectively at all levels of management and to individual contributors.
- Proven team leadership experience in program integration, operations, program execution, proposals, or capture efforts -- to meet quality, performance, cost, and schedule requirements.
- Prior experience operating in a dynamic environment of increasing pace
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage concurrent efforts.
- Experience as a Control Account Manager (CAM).
- Demonstrated Functional Management experience.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and defining staffing requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in development of Basis of Estimates (BOEs).
- Experience with risk management (identification and development of risks) and driving risk mitigations to closure.
- Prior experience and working knowledge of the Sentinel program.
- Experience in Agile methodologies.
- Experience in Lean methodologies.
- Experience in DevOps methodologies.
- Experience in Integrated Functional Capability Process.
- Experience in Architecture and/or Model Based Engineering.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.