Space Principal Communications Systems Engineer/ Sr Principal Communications Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: R10127754
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Fairfax, Virginia, United States of America
- Citizenship required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: SCI
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, but they are also making history.
The Payload and Ground Systems organization within the Northrop Grumman Space Systems pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems (NGSP) is looking for you to join our team as a Principal Communications Systems Engineer/Sr. Principal Communications Systems Engineer based out of Fairfax, VA.
What You’ll get to Do:
Analyzes, models, designs and simulates communications systems, subsystems, and algorithms for communication networks, data links, digital radio, battle management, and command and control systems such as wide and local area networks, point-to-point systems, secure systems, signal coding and modulation schema, digital radio/communications technology and network architecture design.
This position can be filled as a Level 3 or a Level 4 based on the qualifications below.
- For Principal (Level 3): Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other STEM related degree with 5 + years of experience; 3 years with a Master's or 9 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- For Sr. Principal (Level 4): Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other STEM related degree with 9 + years of experience; 7 years with a Master's; 4 years with a PhD; or 13 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- TS/SCI or TS with SCI eligibility, and willingness to sit for a poly security clearance
- Experience working with RF systems and RF Ranges: L/S-band and K/Ka-band
- Knowledge of SATCOM modulation methods and applicability of Forward Error Correction (FEC)
- Knowledge of linking Budget and Performance calculations to include Gains/Losses/EIRP/PSD/GT/SNR/EB/NO
- Knowledge of SATCOM equipment including, but not limited to, antennas, HPAs/SSPAs, up/down-converters, LNAs, and modems
- Knowledge of SATCOM signal dynamics including modulation, error correction, and associated signal generation equipment. Familiarity performing link-budget analysis
- Experience with troubleshooting systems hardware and software
- Ability to react quickly in a dynamic environment
- Collaborate working in a team environment
- Ability to communicate technical approaches and details within small project teams, including team interaction and presentation.
- Knowledge of parabolic antennas and use for LEO/MEO/GEO applications
- Familiarization of ITU, FCC and other universally accepted standards and recommendations.
- Active TS/SCI with poly
- Familiarity with computer networks
- Familiarity with Linux Command Line Interface
- Digital Signal Processing (e.g., A/D & D/A converters)
- Satellite Dynamics and TT+C Links
- Strong understanding of RF/satellite communication and antenna theory/principles
- Data analysis skills
- Experience developing ground terminals for LEO/MEO/GEO SATCOM systems
- Military experience or working in a military environment
- DoD Test experience
- Working knowledge of current DoD Space Control systems
- Security + certification for data transfer responsibilities
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.