Principal Safety Engineer
Requisition ID: R10049103
- Category: Environmental, Health & Safety
- Location: New Malden, London, United Kingdom
- Citizenship required: United Kingdom Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Security Check (SC)
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 3
Your Opportunity to Define Possible. Our Opportunity to Deliver the Nation’s Security. Together.
Role Clearance Type: You must be able to gain and maintain UK Government clearance
Location: Burlington House, New Malden, Kingston-Upon-Thames, London, UK.
About Your Opportunity:
Work on pioneering projects that use cutting-edge technology and innovation for strategically important National Defence Programmes.
As a key member of the Systems Safety team, you will lead the delivery of complex safety critical systems and defence standards across multiple platforms. Undertaking safety engineering activities in accordance with the NG safety processes and using guidance from Def Stan 00-056 and IEC61508.
- Flexible working schedules - we offer flexible and hybrid working arrangements. Talk to us at the application stage about any scheduling preferences you may have.
- Flexible Benefits Package – choose which NGUKL benefits you want to satisfy your personal needs. Core Benefits provided for you are Healthcare, Dental, Life Assurance and Pension. Benefits you can flex include Critical Illness Cover, Health Cash Plan, and Health Assessments.
- Employee Incentive Programme – exceptional performance is recognized through our annual incentive programme which is awarded to top performers who excel
- Career Development – opportunity for ongoing professional development and career growth opportunities
- Safety Analysis such as Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOPs), Functional Failure Analysis (FFA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) in accordance with the NG safety processes and using guidance from Def Stan 00-056 and IEC61508.
- Generate safety requirements for the system to ensure that the customer’s safety targets and derived safety targets can be met by the system design
- Presenting complex and reasoned safety arguments to internal and external stakeholders in order to influence their consideration of safety decisions
- Working collaboratively within multi-disciplined teams to maximise NGs reputation by generating high quality and well-reasoned outputs
- Supporting audits at internal and external design reviews and safety committee meetings
- Proven experience in delivering and communicating Systems Safety within the UK Defence industry, a degree, HND or HNC in Engineering or Safety Management related discipline or equivalent relevant experience in Systems Safety Engineering
- Awareness, understanding and application of international and defence standards such as IEC 61508 and Def Stan 00-056
- Awareness of safety assurance of COTS PE based systems or high integrity software
- Experience in safety/reliability analysis techniques: hazard identification and analysis, FMECA, FTA, Functional Failure Analysis
- Awareness, understanding and application of the tools and techniques used in Risk Assessments and developing ALARP justifications
Your Future Team:
“The goal for the team through innovation, commitment and ownership is to provide the support needed by our armed forces now and into the future”
We are a small growing team developing a new capability within NGUK. Our team brings together the Systems Safety and ILS disciplines to enable us to learn from each other and to enable cross pollination of ideas and ways of working that benefit you, the team, NGUKL and ultimately the client, supporting our customer mission in to new technologies.
Diversity is at the heart of our success. Our team share experience, knowledge and new thinking gained from a wide range of backgrounds perspective, culture, gender, race, age and many other elements across several industries. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from communities currently under-represented within our industry. We treat everyone with respect and foster safe and inclusive environments.
About Our Responsibilities:
Our customers operate in unique environments which offer new and exciting challenges every day, cultivating a place where you can learn and thrive, working alongside the best minds in industry. We’ll give you space to develop your career, where your ideas can shape the future of our dynamic business.
We promote collaboration to achieve more than we could imagine, together. And within a respectful and inspirational environment, we value what you say and do.
How to Apply:
Interested in our opportunity?
Yes – then simply submit your application online. Your application will be reviewed by one of our expert recruiters who’ll then respond advising you of the outcome and next steps for successful candidates.
Possibly, I’d like to find out more – email email@example.com to connect with one of our Sourcing Specialists who will be happy to support you with any enquires.
Background checks and potentially security clearance form part of the recruitment process, our team will inform you of the procedures when required.
Northrop Grumman UK:
Work with a global brand that makes a real contribution to our nation’s security and future. At Northrop Grumman UK, the brightest minds come together to push the boundaries and Define Possible. As leaders in the digital transformation of Aerospace, Defence and Intelligence we are providing ground-breaking outcomes for our customers.
UK Defence Business:
Our UK Defence business is a Sovereign software and systems centre of excellence. As well as developing and supporting UK wide and internationally deployed multi-domain command and control systems, our work is critical to the modern backbone of the Royal Navy. We pioneer – with fierce curiosity, dedication, and innovation, we seek to solve the world’s most challenging problems.
Find out more: https://www.northropgrumman.com/careers/job-search-united-kingdom/
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.