Principal Guidance, Navigation, and Controls (GNC) Engineer/Sr. Principal GNC Engineer
Requisition ID: R10044971
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Plymouth, MN, USA
- Citizenship Required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 2
Principal Engineer Guidance, Navigation, and Controls (GNC)
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION: Yes
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE: Relocation assistance may be available
CLEARANCE TYPE: Secret
TRAVEL: Yes, 10% of the Time
Be a part of our team of Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) engineers within the System Engineering, Integration and Test (SEIT) group. The GNC Team supports all Northrop Grumman Armament System programs in the product areas of medium and large caliber ammunition, precision and guided projectiles, air defense systems, and miniature strike munitions.
We utilize the latest tools and processes available to generate guidance algorithms, controls, navigation filters, system architecture models and performance simulations. Our GNC engineering methods follow Model Based Engineering (MBE) principles utilizing MathWorks Modeling & Simulation (M&S) tools, within our digital engineering toolsets.
Interdisciplinary engagements with Mechanical, Electrical, Aeronautical, Systems, Test and other Engineers are critical. Collaborate and coordinate with key stakeholders across the SEIT group, technical/project lead engineers, program managers, and integrated product teams. Support GNC project execution, technical oversight and engineering reviews as required.
Primary responsibilities of this position include development of innovative flight control architectures, physical and mathematical model generation, adaptation of GNC subsystems to airframe aerodynamic models, prototype system design, build, test, design verification and iterative model validation through test data analyses. These may also include:
- Support trade studies and develop algorithms, models, and simulations of GNC subsystems to satisfy top level system specifications and requirements.
- Capture GNC architectures and physics-based models of major subsystems and components, enabling system performance simulations in key use environments.
- Support GNC optimization through high fidelity simulations, including six degrees of freedom (6 DOF) constructs and Monte Carlo statistical analyses.
- Assist prototype build, test, and potential failure investigations to identify root causes and corrective actions that resolve observed system performance issues.
This position can be filled at a higher Engineering grade level depending on years of experience and/or education.
Basic Qualifications for Principal GNC Engineer:
- B.S., M.S. or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace or Systems Engineering or a closely related field.
- At least 5 years of Industrial work experience in model development, requirements definition, GNC algorithm analysis and synthesis and familiarity with both modern and classical control design techniques.
- Ability to travel for work 10% of the time.
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret (or higher) Security Clearance.
Basic Qualifications for Sr. Principal GNC Engineer:
- Includes all the above with the addition of at least 9 years of GNC Engineering experience.
- An ideal candidate will have experience in development of Integrated GNC subsystems for precision guided weapons.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more related disciplines such as: guidance laws, navigation, autopilots, actuation, seekers, and software development as well as MBE and M&S principles are desired.
- Experience with MathWorks tools is also desired.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
What's great about
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and paid time off.
Did you know?
Northrop Grumman leads the industry team for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021, the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology, and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.
- district of columbia
- new hampshire
- new jersey
- new mexico
- new york
- north carolina
- north dakota
- rhode island
- south carolina
- south dakota
- virgin islands
- west virginia