Graduate Software Engineer – Defence
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history – from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history
£30,000 starting salary with performance increments of around £2,500 every six months
Security Clearance (SC). Before you start with Northrop Grumman, you’ll need to complete BPSS clearance. This usually takes up to three weeks. We’ll then require you to attain Security Check (SC) clearance. Achieving SC clearance is a rigorous process. It means that we need applicants to be British citizens, to have lived in the UK and not have travelled abroad for over 6 months in the last five years. SC vetting will look into you, your previous roles, criminal records and
financial history. You will need to have the right to work and live in the UK indefinitely, we are not able to support visa applications as part of this recruitment.
Burlington House, New Malden Kingston-Upon-Thames, London
About Your Opportunity
Work on pioneering projects that use cutting-edge technology and innovation for strategically important National Defence Programmes.
Our Early Careers programmes are the lifeblood of our organisation and we are committed to ensuring exposure to a variety of stimulating work alongside training and development that will help you to shape your career. For top performers, you will receive an offer of a place on our graduate programme. We work closely with our customers to create software centric capabilities that allow them to execute their mission with ease and success. Graduate Software Engineers are required with experience of Java, C++ and/or C to join our team to solve problems and develop innovative solutions for our customers.
An exciting opportunity to work on pioneering projects using cutting-edge technology. We work closely with our customers to create software centric capabilities that allow them to execute their mission with ease and success. Graduate Software Engineers are required with experience of Java, C++ and/or C to join our team to solve problems and develop innovative solutions for our customers.
Essential Skills and Experience
- We are looking for people who have achieved or are on target to achieve a relevant degree, for example, software engineering and computer science.
- You understand the software lifecycle and enjoy a challenge
- Analytical skills and logical reasoning are essential with the ability to solve problems in innovative ways preferred
- You must be able to work to delivery requirements within reasonably agreed timeframes and demonstrate the potential to work through projects to their conclusion
- Over two years, this scheme involves a blend of on-job learning supported by technical, soft and leadership skills development.
- There will be the potential for rotations across projects to provide a variety of work.
- Your development plan, which will be specific to you and agreed with your line manager, could include opportunities for you to gain experience in a range of disciplines such as command and control, architectural design, systems and application development.
- Most of our applications are developed in Java and C++, using the latest agile methodologies, and many of our projects have ‘full stack’ architecture to broaden your skills still further.
- Flexible working schedules – Many of our teams work flexibly and depending on the project, you may work from the office, home or on a hybrid model. We are passionate about creating an environment where people can develop and grow, follow their interests and be the best version of themselves. And in order to do this, you will need to be based near one of our locations. We also offer condensed hours and flexible working.
- Flexible Benefits Package – choose which NGUKL benefits you want to satisfy your personal needs. Core Benefits provided for you are Healthcare, Dental, Life Assurance and Pension. Benefits you can flex include Critical Illness Cover, Health Cash Plan, and Health Assessments.
- Employee Incentive Programme – exceptional performance is recognized through our annual incentive programme which is awarded to top performers who excel
- Career Development – opportunity for ongoing professional development and career growth opportunities.
How to Apply
Our UK Talent Hub Team is a partnership with Talent Solutions. This team will manage your application on our behalf. You will be directed to an online application where you will need to create an account, tell us a bit about yourself and also complete three personal statements. Our team will then be in touch to update you of the outcome and next steps for successful candidates. If you would like to talk to us, require any help, support or assistance throughout the process please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will be in touch.
Northrop Grumman UK
Work with a global brand that makes a real contribution to our nation’s security and future. At Northrop Grumman UK, the brightest minds come together to push the boundaries and Define Possible. As leaders in the digital transformation of Aerospace, Defence and Intelligence we are providing ground-breaking outcomes for our customers.
Our UK Defence business is a Sovereign software and systems centre of excellence. As well as developing and supporting UK wide and internationally deployed multi-domain command and control systems, our work is critical to the modern backbone of the Royal Navy. We pioneer – with fierce curiosity, dedication, and innovation, we seek to solve the world’s most challenging problems.
Our customers operate in unique environments which offer new and exciting challenges every day, cultivating a place where you can learn and thrive, working alongside the best minds in industry. We’ll give you space to develop your career, where your ideas can shape the future of our dynamic business.
We promote collaboration to achieve more than we could imagine, together. And within a respectful and inspirational environment, we value what you say and do.
“I am passionate about creating an environment where people can develop and grow, follow their interests and be the best version of themselves.”
Andrew Nelson, Early Career Development Manager @ Northrop Grumman UK