Software Engineer Industry Placement
Software Engineer Industry Placement
Your Opportunity to Define Possible. Our Opportunity to Deliver the Nation’s Security. Together.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history – from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth
bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Diversity is at the heart of our success. Our teams share experience, knowledge and new thinking gained from a wide range of backgrounds perspective, culture, gender, race, age and many other elements across several industries. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from communities currently under-represented within our industry. We treat everyone with respect and foster safe and inclusive environments.
Software Engineer Job Details
10 Positions starting September 2023
12-month Industry Placement: £21,000
Security Clearance (SC). Before you start with Northrop Grumman, you’ll need to complete BPSS clearance. This usually takes up to three weeks. We’ll then require you to attain Security Check (SC) clearance. Achieving SC clearance is a rigorous process. It means that we need applicants to be British citizens, to have lived in the UK and not have travelled abroad for over 6 months in the last five years. SC vetting will look into you, your previous roles, criminal records and financial history.
About Your Opportunity
To work on pioneering projects that use cutting-edge technology and innovation for strategically important National Defence Programmes.
This 12-month Industry Placement provides you an exciting opportunity to work on pioneering projects using cutting-edge technology. We work closely with our customers to create software centric capabilities that allow them to execute their mission with ease and success. Graduate Software Engineers are required with experience of Java, C++ and/or C to join our team to solve problems and develop innovative solutions for our customers.
A truly agile development team that supports one another to deliver high quality software. Our teams consist of a mixture of experienced and early career professionals – we promote collaboration and learning from each other, and we will support your career and training needs. We believe that creating
a team that values diversity and fosters inclusion is essential to great performance and we are proud of our quality of work.
Our Early Careers programmes are the lifeblood of our organisation and we are committed to ensuring exposure to a variety of stimulating work alongside training and development that will help you to shape your career. For top performers, you will receive an offer of a place on our graduate programme.
Essential Skills and Experience
- We are looking for people are on target to achieve a relevant degree, for example, software engineering and computer science.
- You must have a passion for software development and computing, and have written code in Java, C++ and/or C.
- You understand the software lifecycle and enjoy a challenge.
- Analytical skills and logical reasoning are essential with the ability to solve problems in innovative ways preferred.
- You must be able to work to deliver requirements within reasonably agreed timeframes and demonstrate the potential to work through projects to their conclusion.
- Over 12 months, this scheme involves a blend of on-job learning supported by technical, soft and leadership skills development.
- Opportunities will include gaining experience in various software and related disciplines such as cyber security, architectural design, systems engineering, application development, DevSecOps and software development methodologies e.g. Agile.
- You will be learning how to work on presentations and delivery them with appropriate levels of detail for the audience, how to constructively criticise write up and reports, building professional relationships with your colleagues, and improving communication skills within teams and building on improving confidence.
- The majority of our application development is in Java and C++ using object-oriented design and enterprise integration patterns.
- We are also increasingly making use of service/web-oriented architectures, cloud technologies and open-source products. Our projects are run using the latest agile methodologies and DevSecOps tools.
- Flexible working schedules – Many of our teams work flexibly and depending on the project, you may work from the office, home or on a hybrid model. We are passionate about creating an environment where people can develop and grow, follow their interests and be the best version of themselves. And in order to do this, you will need to be based near one of our locations. We also offer condensed hours and flexible working.
- Flexible Benefits Package – choose which NGUKL benefits you want to satisfy your personal needs. Core Benefits provided for you are Healthcare, Dental, Life Assurance and Pension.
- Benefits you can flex include Critical Illness Cover, Health Cash Plan, and Health Assessments.
How to Apply
Our UK Talent Hub Team is a partnership with Talent Solutions. This team will manage your application on our behalf. You will be directed to an online application where you will need to create an account, tell us a bit about yourself and also complete three personal statements. Our team will then be in touch to update you of the outcome and next steps for successful candidates. If you would like to talk to us, require any help, support or assistance throughout the process please email us at: email@example.com and one of the team will be in touch.
Northrop Grumman UK
Work with a global brand that makes a real contribution to our nation’s security and future. At Northrop Grumman UK, the brightest minds come together to push the boundaries and Define Possible. As leaders in the digital transformation of Aerospace, Defence and Intelligence we are providing ground-breaking outcomes for our customers.
Our UK Defence business is a Sovereign software and systems centre of excellence. As well as developing and supporting UK wide and internationally deployed multi-domain command and control systems, our work is critical to the modern backbone of the Royal Navy. We pioneer – with fierce curiosity, dedication, and innovation, we seek to solve the world’s most challenging problems.
Our customers operate in unique environments which offer new and exciting challenges every day, cultivating a place where you can learn and thrive, working alongside the best minds in industry. We’ll give you space to develop your career, where your ideas can shape the future of our dynamic business.
We promote collaboration to achieve more than we could imagine, together. And within a respectful and inspirational environment, we value what you say and do.
“I am passionate about creating an environment where people can develop and grow, follow their interests and be the best version of themselves.”
Andrew Nelson, Early Career Development Manager @ Northrop Grumman UK