Microelectronics - Advanced Technology Lab
Semiconductor Foundry Technologies
The Northrop Grumman Advanced Technology Lab, located in Linthicum, Maryland, maintains a wide range of processes for our customers. We offer a full feature facility with state-of-the-art design capabilities, multiple processing nodes, electrical testing, environmental and QCI screening, and failure analysis.
The Northrop Grumman Advanced Technology Lab, located in Linthicum, Maryland, maintains a wide range of processes for both internal and external customers. We offer a full feature facility with state-of-the-art design capabilities, multiple processing nodes, electrical testing, environmental and QCI screening, and failure analysis.
- 150 mm Silicon
- CMOS* (180nm, 0.5µm, 0.8µm, & 1.25µm)
- BiCMOS (10V*, 15V, 40V*, 60V)
- SONOS Non-Volatile Memory*
- SiGe Bipolar Power
- 100 mm GaAs
- 100 mm GaN-on- SiC, GaN-on-Si, Indium-based Nitrides
- 100 mm SiC
- Schottky SIT and Ion Implanted SIT
*Radiation Hardened options available
Test & Assembly Services
The Advanced Technology Lab (ATL) offers Microelectronics Test, Assembly, and Product Engineering services across a high mix of internally and externally fabricated products. With ~22,000 ft² of cleanroom space and more on the way, the test and assembly branch of ATL continues to pioneer unique solutions for the industry.
- TEST – Automated wafer and packaged device Acceptance Test Procedure (ATP) solutions are developed using commercial Automatic Test Equipment (ATE) and Radio Frequency (RF)/Mixed Signal Test Equipment.
- ASSEMBLY – Tested wafers can be inspected, thinned, diced, sorted, and assembled into package devices before being subjected to final electrical testing.
- PRODUCT – Device electrical performance, fabrication quality, and manufacturing pedigree are thoroughly recorded and evaluated before the product is delivered to the next higher assembly.
- Teradyne/Advantest/NI ATE solutions for Si Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) and mixed signal product testing
- RF Integrated Circuit (RFIC) Test Racks w/ PNA-X and Keysight/NI for Device Under Test (DUT) controls
- Automated wafer (up to 300mm) probers with thermal & Film Frame test support
- Automated handler with thermal support for high volume packaged device testing
- Advanced Automated Optical Inspection (AOI) for wafers, singulated die, and packaged devices
- Spin Rinse Dry (SRD) cleaning, laser/saw dicing, auto/manual die attach (eutectic/epoxy), wire-bonding, and lidding
- Reliability and environmental testing (Burn-In, Highly Accelerated Stress Test (HAST), Gross/Fine Leak, Centrifuge, RF shielded testing)
For more than 50 years, ATL has utilized unique materials and processes along with novel device technologies to create innovative mixed signal microelectronics. We have trusted capabilities for design, wafer fabrication, test, and assembly that allow us to deliver the exquisite products that meet a broad range of system requirements.
Silicon Technology Overview
|Name||Status||Digital/Analog Supply Voltage (Volts)||Applications||Technology Description||PDK|
|L-Band||Production||- / 50||Power Transistors for Pulsed Radar / Communications||Silicon NPN Microwave Power||Yes|
|S-Band||Production||- / 45||100 krads||Power Transistors for Pulsed Radar / Communications||Yes|
|CCD||Production||10/12||Visible Image Sensors||Indium Tin Oxide CCDs with 4um CMOS 8V CCD Input Drive||Yes|
|PCBLVRH||Production||10/10||Smart Power Control (Regulators, Fault Isolators)||Rad Hard 10V BiCMOS. No PNP Transistors Used||Yes|
|PCBMVRH||Production||15/15||Smart Power Control (Regulators, Fault Isolators)||Rad Hard 15V BiCMOS. No PNP Transistors Used||Yes|
|PCB60||Production||15/60||Regulators for GaN Devices||60V BiCMOS||Yes|
|PCB40RH||Pre-Production||15/40||Analog Multiplexers, Analog Switches||100K Rad Hard 40V CMOS and Trench Isolation||Yes|
|CMS8||Production||5/5||SONOS FPGAs, CMOS ASICs, 1M EEPROM||Rad Hard 0.8um CMOS with Nonvolatile Memory||Yes|
|CMS5||Production||3.3/5||CMOS ASICs||Rad Hard 0.5um CMOS||Yes|
ATL’s capabilities in GaAs, GaN, and SiC materials create trusted, high performance, specialized microelectronics for numerous RF and power applications for systems. Ongoing development in GaN and other wide band gap materials continue to push the boundaries of performance.
Silicon Technology Overview
|Technology Name||Status||Operating Voltage (Volts)||Applications||Technology Description||PDK|
|SiC||Production||100||Power Transistors for Pulsed Radar / Communications||Discrete Silicon Carbide Power Transistors||Yes|
|HBT||Production||8||Power Transistors for Pulsed Radar / Communications||Discrete Silicon Carbide Power Transistors||Yes|
|SLCFET 3S||Production||-14||Switches, Switch Couplers, Switch Matrices, Reconfigurable Filters||Low-Loss, High Linearity RF Switch, RWOH available||Yes|
|SLCFET 3HP||Production||-20||Switches, Switch Couplers, Switch Matrices, Switched Filters||High Power, Low-Loss RF Switch, RWOH available||Yes|
|SLCFET Diode||Development||-14||Level Shifters for Receiver Protector, Limiters||Diode Integrated with SLCFET Switch||Yes|
|SLCFET Amplifier||Development||2.5-15||Power Amplifiers, LNAs, T/R MMICs||VHF - Ka bandSuperlattice Amplifier||Yes|
Mixed Signal Radiation
ATL has the specialized processes that allow us to produce microelectronics that can survive the harshest radiation environments. Our space-level qualified products are utilized on numerous space payloads.
CMOS / Mixed Signal Radiation Hardness Summary
|Technology Name||Status||Digital/Analog Supply Voltage (Volts)||Estimated Radiation Hardness||Comments|
|PCBLVRH||Production||10/10||500 krads||Rad Hard 10V BiCMOS|
|PCBMVRH||Production||15/15||100 krads||Rad Hard 15V BiCMOS|
|PCB40RH||Pre-Production||15/40||>300 krads||Rad Hard 40V CMOS for Analog MUXes|
|PCB60||Production||15/60||30-50 krads||60V BiCMOS|
|CMS8||Production||5/5||>300 krads||Rad Hard 0.8um CMOS with Nonvolatile Memory|
|CMS5||Production||3.3/5||>300 krads||Rad Hard 0.5um CMOS|
ATL offers foundry services to create Silicon Mixed-signal, Analog, or Digital ASIC’s; GaAs or GaN Compound semiconductor MMIC’s; or Power Transistors in Silicon or Silicon Carbide. Our standard products that are available encompass Radiation Hardened Non-Volatile Memories and Multiplexers, along with Bipolar RF Power Transistors.
- Radiation Hardened and High Temperature EEPROMs
- 16:1 Analog Multiplexers (Radiation Hardened)
- Bipolar RF Power Transistors
- Design Services
- Radiation Analysis and Testing
- GaAs RF MMIC Foundry Service Design Kits
- Silicon Foundry Service Design Kits
ATL by the Numbers
- The ATL semiconductor foundry has been delivering microelectronics for more than 50 years with annual deliveries exceeding 1,200,000 devices per year.
- We are a critical resource for the DoD community and hold DMEA CAT1A Trust Certification for wafer fabrication, assembly, test, and aggregation with over 55,000 square feet of wafer fabrication cleanrooms.
- We are AS9100 Certified.
- We have more than 700 experienced technical staff and more than 50 subject matter experts on-site supporting both production and development efforts.
- We have over 30 production processes, with more in development. No other facility in the US has this variety of semiconductor technologies under one roof.
- Over 5.7 million parts have been delivered to more than 70 Northrop Grumman programs over the past decade.
- Our trusted and assured production capabilities are supporting over 18 AESA programs.
- We have supplied microelectronics to over 100 space payloads, including the James Webb Space Telescope